Ballpark Estimate Labor Sand Filter Install

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
I'm figuring my friend is going to need a new filter. I've recommended the Hayward Pro Sand 24" per you guys recommending. She currently has a side mound DE 36 with push pull valve. Some plumbing will need to be done for the top valve Hayward. Her system is really simple. She has a waste to sewer also.

I can get it free shipping on Amazon for ~$280, no tax.

Just ball park figure wanted so I can tell her about what to expect for labor cost. We'll shop around for installer but I would prefer to use my "Favorite Most Trusted" pool guy. She suggested that he gives me special (lower) prices for work he occasionally does at my house but I'm not sure about that.

Just some ball park estimates would be much appreciated.

Thanks, gg=alic

depends on if it's just the plumbing or if removing and resetting/filling the filters is included.
If it's just the plumbing and she has PVC pipe, then an hour, no more than two, would do it.
If it's removing the old and placing the new then I'd figure four hours.

The prices vary from place to place quite a bit. Around here, no pool service person will come out to the house for less than a $150 to $200 minimum, which includes the first hour of work. Replacing a sand filter could easily be double that by the time you include removing the old unit, plumbing, and then loading sand into the new unit.

JasonLion said:
The prices vary from place to place quite a bit. Around here, no pool service person will come out to the house for less than a $150 to $200 minimum, which includes the first hour of work. Replacing a sand filter could easily be double that by the time you include removing the old unit, plumbing, and then loading sand into the new unit.

Thanks all. I'm not really up to all the hauling and maneuvering of filters and sand. My back keeps acting up on me. That' one reason I haven't opened the filter before now. Her pool guy insist the filter is fine but it won't hold DE (all ends up in pool) and it keeps throwing calcium precipitate and juniper needles back into the pool and the Polaris screen. I ran the Polaris for five minutes, after clearing all the gunk out of line, and then it stopped up the screen.

If I don't do any of it...... it will be removing the old filter, cutting out pipes, putting new filter in, and sand. I'll, hopefully know today, after I open her old filter up. I told her about the cheapest we could get a grid set for was $100 (in the past she's paid close to $30 for one grid at her close by Leslie's, and if the manifold is broken, at least another $100. Then the DE for clearing the pool, and future DE cost. The filter has been running for months, since last summer, with inadequate DE so I won't be surprised if the grids are all beyond use.

She and her DH are both disabled. They were especially interested in not having the put DE in when backwashing AND that, with the multi-valve, they will be able to do the backwash themselves.

I sold her my used Polaris, with new bearings, new tires (just installed)(two of the old ones are still really good), new hose wall connector (last year), an extra wall screen, new wall fitting and reducers (last year), 5 bags in good shape (three leaf, one regular, one Aquawerx), extra hose length, extra new hose swivel (still in bag), extra used swivel, hose holder-on-ers (new unused), some new tail wear guards and some in bags, four sponges, rest of swivels and hose about three years old, backup valve working great..... for $150. I thought her booster pump needed new motor but once I got the Polaris hooked up it is making almost no noise. It was squealing some before without back pressure but isn't now.

But we can't use Polaris right now because of all the Crud coming through the filter. I'm almost positive that's what "killed" her Polaris 280 that is the a year older than mine.

She's taking her old one in to Leslie's, who do a free diagnostic, just to see what they say. We can use her for parts later on. I did move it from out of the sun, storing in the garage.

Anyway, I'm probably going to be ordering the filter from Amazon unless "Favorite Most Trusted" pool guy can give a better deal selling one from his store and installing.

I'll post in later with updates.

gg=alice

You could also call some pool guys/companies in your area and ask for a free estimate - which is their ballpark figure from the information you provide. It's completely free and most aren't car salesmen so you don't have to worry about them calling you a million times a week to see if you want them to do the installation. If you find someone reasonable, you can ask them to come out, check out your equipment area and they can give you a quote (also free).

Remember, just because they have the cheapest price doesn't mean they do quality work. Usually you want to go with someone in between price ranges and who has good references. Believe it or not, they are interviewing for a job, so you want someone who has history. But the better the references, usually the higher the price. Quality is never cheap but your pool gets a better service and usually ends up lasting longer. People who charge cheap, do cheap work and therefore you have problems later.

Good luck :)

Edited by Moderator

cannonball.pools said:
You could also call some pool guys/companies in your area and ask for a free estimate - which is their ballpark figure from the information you provide. It's completely free and most aren't car salesmen so you don't have to worry about them calling you a million times a week to see if you want them to do the installation. If you find someone reasonable, you can ask them to come out, check out your equipment area and they can give you a quote (also free).

Remember, just because they have the cheapest price doesn't mean they do quality work. Usually you want to go with someone in between price ranges and who has good references. Believe it or not, they are interviewing for a job, so you want someone who has history. But the better the references, usually the higher the price. Quality is never cheap but your pool gets a better service and usually ends up lasting longer. People who charge cheap, do cheap work and therefore you have problems later.

Good luck :)

Sources:Link removed. Butterfly

Thanks, and welcome to TFP. :wave:

A lot of times I like to use people who have done great work out here and have professional yet friendly attitudes. When I need something done on the pool that I don't want to tackle, which isn't often, I always call my "Favorite Most Trusted" pool guy, without calling for other bids. He, also, owns his own store and has been in the business for over 25 years. He's totally non pushy. And he even listens to what I have to say. I've never had to have him return to redo anything he's done, I don't use him very often, and, as far as I'm concerned, the quality of his work is worth every penny he charges me. Like I said, after owning this pool, for 24 years, I've had enough experience with people I would never let near my pool again. He may not even charge as much as other places but I don't know.

I just talked to my friend, who needs the new filter (most likely) and told her we were looking at around $600. And then reminded her that since she's taking control of the chemicals now, and she's found a way to empty the skimmer baskets without needing to bend down, and her pool guy [sic] has done nothing to but screw up her pool, the filter and labor would be paid for by not using him this summer @ $100/month. Then she reminded me that she pays him year round. All the better "firing" him. :twisted:

She has a mentally challenged, good friend, who comes over several times a week and helps her around the house, watering plants, and loves to work on the pool. She helps him with his finances, shopping, doctors appointments, errands, etc. Great trade-off and a pleasant and fun guy to have around. Besides that I like discussing current events with him. He knows more about the world than 99% of the people with whom I come in contact.

I'm going to get her a TFT kit for her birthday. Early present.

I think I'll call my "Favorite Most Trusted" pool guy in a few minutes.

gg=alice

If your on a budget, you might better off finding a good general handyman to install the filter. It is not exactly rocket science, anyone that can do the heavy lifting and patch PVC pipe should be able to install it at a fraction of the price a "pool professional" is likely to charge.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
If your on a budget, you might better off finding a good general handyman to install the filter. It is not exactly rocket science, anyone that can do the heavy lifting and patch PVC pipe should be able to install it at a fraction of the price a "pool professional" is likely to charge.

Ike

That's probably true. I'm a "general handyman" and I hate to see shoddy work or have to call people back to fix anything that should have been done properly the first time. Just about all my handicaps, doing many things now are due to arthritis, and old injuries that are starting to limit my physical abilities. I'm a detail person, within reason and do micro-manage some things. (I hate doing that with bookkeeping, filing, or just about anything non physical now days so suffer the consequences.)

Beside that it does cost extra, sometimes, to eliminate the "if" factor for the job being done properly.

In addition, my friend is one of those people who cleans her closets out several times a year and gets really stressed if the garage gets too much stuff in it. She cleaned out the separately fenced pool pad area a few weeks ago, that also houses her whole house water softener and AC condenser. It looks great. She told me Sunday, "It's such a mess; I have to go out there and clean it up." :shock: "Why would he let it get so messy?" (pool guy) I don't know how she would react if the glue points weren't "clean", with purple stuff staining the PVC. I don't have enough time to supervise the work so "Trusted" pool guy who is his own supervisor is priceless.

Although her income is limited, she manages and budgets so very well. She has too much stress in her life as is so paying for great, trouble free work is something she is willing to pay for, within limits. Some of us have different priorities; some times need, sometimes preference.

I'll take a look today to see if I can manage. I do a lot of seemingly "impossible" things with my physical limitations. Right now the biggest problem for me is time. But I really don't think my friend is willing to subject me to the physical burdens and the time stress. And our heat index is WAY over 100. DH probably won't "let" me do it either. He needs me healthy to do the heavy stuff out here.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.