Arggghhhh!!!! Bubbles in the return...

eelhc

May 30, 2007
Background/My installation:

Main Drain + Skimmer -> 4 way valve (Main Drain, Skimmer, 1/2 or off) -> pump -> filter -> swg -> 2 returns

Last week I noticed that I was getting air bubbles out of one of my return jets. Don't know exactly when it started but I suspect that it was soon after I cleaned out the pump skimmer. I checked with the 4 way valve on main drain only then skimmer only... bubbles in either case.

This past weekend I checked all the plumbing and found no noticeable leaks on the inlet side of the pump (turn pump off and watch for any water coming out of the connections/unions.... also the shaving cream trick). I took everything apart just in case and re-assembled with new lube + thread sealant. Checked again and no leaks.

So my conclusion is that I have either a leak in both the main drain and the skimmer lines or a leak in the pump/pump housing (likely the case). It's been a couple of years since I replaced the rubber gasket on the pump skimmer cover (Hayward Super Pump, rectangular gasket). The gasket doesn't look bad but there are no other obvious places for air to get in.

The gasket is simple enough to replace but is there anywhere else I should look at?

Also... while I was at the pool store I saw that the gasket is also sold as a part of a rebuild kit which includes the Housing Gasket, Diffuser Gasket, Lid Gasket and the Motor Seal. I've never rebuilt the pump before... Is this something I need to do regularly?

just to clarify; a SWG will create bubbles only when it's generating chlorine. If you have it set at, say, 50%, it will generate bubbles 50% of the time the pump is running. Just as a test, you could turn off your SWG and see if the bubbles stop.

fharczuk, 50% (at least on my Hayward/Goldline) means that the cell is generating chlorine half the time. It only has one power level, and just cycles on and off. The control box has power all the time, but the "generating" LED would only be on half the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.