Question About Adding Baking Soda & Borax

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
My pool is nearly filled back up after draining due to CYA being too high. Question is, when I start adding borax and then baking soda do I need to put it in the skimmer or pour in front of water inlet? And how long do I wait in between putting each in....Also, since the water is 60% replenished and clear...do I need to add enough bleach to shock level or just to 4 PPM? Any answers would be appreciated.

I would recommend pouring it directly into the skimmer and that seems to be the recommended way from reading here. Leave the skimmer basket in when you are doing this so it helps break it up. Do it very slowly and do not let it build up.

Okay pool is filled. Water is a little hazy. Keep in mind that I am using OTO drop kit to check chlorine and PH...and 6 way test strips as well. Don't know if ou can even help me but this is what I got...According to OTO ...Chlorine is at 0 and PH is at 6.8. Accordong to test strips the readings are as follows
Chlorine .5
FC 0
PH below 6.8
TA 20
CH 200
CYA 0
Water temperature is 84
I tested yesterday with strip and CYA was at 50 then added another foot of water...so I am assuming it is really low this time.

I used the pool calcualtor and put 4 lb. 10 oz. of Borax in a little bit ago... I only have 4 lbs. baking soda on hand and no bleach. I have plenty of 3" tabs and granualted chlorine but I am afraid to put anymore of that in there after the CYA over indulgence. I am going first thing in the morning to get bleach. Do you think it will be okay until then?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have added more Borax to my water...how long do I need to wait to test for PH? It was at 7.2 before I added 3 more lbs. according to calculator. It still has no chlorine...when can I add the bleach? My water is getting more and more cloudy. Last test results were:
Chlorine= .5
FC = 0
PH= 7.2
TA= 70
CH= 200
CYA= 80

I was guesstimating??? I only have 6 way test strips from WM and OTO chlorine and PH drop kit. I know I need a good one. We have already spent $500 this week on the pool and my husband is getting aggrivated. So....remember I just drained over half the water due to too much CYA...the first reading I took yesterday showed 0 CYA...later last night showed lower than 50 and when i just checked it again after adding more Borax it is showing somewhere in between 50 and 100. These test strips jump and they say CYA of 100 is okay to high. I just don't want to drain anymore water. I have not added anything else with CYA in it....I will go add the bleach. Thanks

Add 5 jugs.

You really don't know what your CYA level is then. We're gonna hope that's a good thing. :)

I understand that you've spent a ton of money already but now you're here and we will solve that situation if you will stick with us.
Of course a good test is worth its cost and I highly recommend you bite the bullet and get one. You really need to know what your levels are in order to move on from here.

I just added 6 jugs before I read your post because it is so hot here. Anyway I agree about the test kit. I am wanting to get the TF100 * And I am working on my husband. I will soon be out of test strips so I will have to do something. Is cya of 80 still to high?

Maybe I am testing too soon but this is what i am getting now
CL 1 ppm
FC 2 ppm
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 200
CYA approx. 80
I waited approx. 30 minutes after adding the bleach to test...do I need to wait longer or go ahead and add more bleach

Give it another 30 mins. If that CL is supposed to be CC then you need to shock and the shock level for a CYA of 80 is 21 or 9 jugs of bleach. I'm a little hesitant about suggesting going that high because I don't know whether to believe the CYA number or not. It won't hurt to take it up there one time and see what happens to the FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support