SWG brands??

Jun 15, 2010
Just got introduced to this site couple of weeks ago. Converted from Baquacil to chlorine using TFP instructions and their testing kit. Sparking clear water now, but am looking to make chlorination easier and am thinking of SWG. What are some good and tested brands or what have you all been using and are happy with. And what should I look out for. Is the Intex from Walmarts any good for $139.00. Thanks in advance for your input.

17,500 Gal
Sand Filter
AG
Vinyl
1 HP

Welcome to TFP.

There are several users here that use the Intex SWG on all sorts of pools. If you go with one you'll want to make sure to stay away from the 8110 model with the copper ion generator. It not only adds copper to your pool but the biggest issue is that they reduced the generating capacity of it.

Welcome to TFP!

There are many good choices. The Intex unit is very basic and not designed for in-ground pools, but it does work. CompuPool makes some very reasonably priced units. Hayward and AutoPilot are some of the best of the higher end units. And there are many in-between that might be worth looking at, Pentair and Jandy come to mind, depending on your specific requirements.

Thanks TFP guys for the quick response. Please one more question. As I looked further into the Intex SWG, they are sold all over the internet not just Walmarts as was in my last post. Anyhow I was trying to look up specs to see if was big enough for my 17,500 gal pool. Not much on finding spec but I did find that they had a salt requirement chart for pool sizes. The chart only went up to 15,500 gal. So would this dictate the pool size capacity of this unit or do you guy think it would work for a 17,500 size pool. Thanks again, and really like my new TFP test kit.

I have the 2009 model 8110...which would work just fine...and is the model before the copper ion thing (sorry intex, but you ruined a good thing)...my pool is approx 13K gals and I run it for 3-4 hours per day...my guess is that if you can find the same model, it should be able to handle a 17K gal pool...given it can be set to run for up to 12 hrs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.