Salt too high - how to determine how much water to change?

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Well it appears I have too much salt in the pool and need to get it lower.

Test strip shows about 6000ppm :shock:

Obviously I have to partially drain and refill the pool -- is there any way to determine how much or just so 1/4 or so and go from there?

All other levels are on the money (chlorine, pH, TA, etc -- CYA is the only thing I cannot test at the moment since I ran out reagent). Also the pool is sparkling clear.

Greg

Is the SWG still running? I think you have a pretty new fill if I recall, does the strip result make sense...ie, have you added enough salt to get to 6000ppm...That would mean you have added about 800lbs of salt vs 400-450lbs (if your target is roughly 3500ppm).

Anyhow, if you are at 6000, you'll need to replace at about 40% of your water...or enough for the SWG to start working again.

Well now the test doesn't actually make sense because our calculation showed 500lbs of salt need for our pool and I put in 12 40lb bags = 480lbs. I held off on bag #13 on purpose.

SWG is working fine although when I peer into the shed to check things it seems to be running all the time (i.e. bubbles in the chamber etc). Timer on the unit is set to run from 1-5 twice a day and it is set at about 50%. I do need to up that percentage a tad as my FC is running at 3 consistently. I have added no bleach (or any other chemicals for that matter) in over a week now.

Pool water feels phenomenal (especially with it nearly 100 degrees yesterday) but it is fairly salty to the taste.

Greg

If the SWG is happy and it is producing chlorine, there is no need to lwer your salt. On the other hand, I think we can do some tweaking for you. Post a full set of results as I'm thinking your CYA may be low or something is eating up your FC, as your SWG should easily be able to handle chlorination and the fact that it is at 50% has me wondering.

As soon as the CYA reagent arrives from duraleigh I will throw them up.

CYA is the only thing that could be off since I have been unable to test it for a week now. As of last night here is what I had.

pH - 7.5
FC - 3
CC - 0
TC - 3
TA - 70
CH - 50
Salt - supposedly 6000ppm using the Aqua-Chek strips
Temp - a balmy 84 degrees at 11pm

These results were after fairly heavy pool use the last 3 days and sweltering hot weather high 90s all last week (THANK GOODNESS FOR A POOL!! :party: :whoot: )

Water is also super super clear. The kind that makes you proud to be a pool owner clear.

Small amount of dirt and debris on the bottom but not bad. Just waiting on Rover Jr to be delivered on Wednesday.

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.