Running Pump

There was an article in our real estate section this weekend about pools. Several builders recommended that in Texas, once the outside temp hits 90------you should run your pump 12 hours daily. I run mine 8-9 hours daily, basically any time it has sun on it. No problems yet.

The rule of thumb is to have a pump that is capable of doing two or three turnovers a day, and then only run it enough to do one turnover a day. A "turnover" means pumping as much water as the total amount of water in the pool. How many hours that works out to in practice varies greatly, depending on the relative size of your pool and pump.

Basically It's gallons of water in the pool divided by gallons per hour of pump flow. Since most pumps are rated in GPM just multiply that by 60 to get GPH.

For example the pool holds 13,000 gallons and the pump flows 60gpm, the formula would be 13,000/(60*60)=3.6 hours for one turnover.

Loved that "pool conservation" link. I'll be saving that one.
Hope the OP doen't mind if I add a question or two....

-Should the pump typically be running when there are swimmers in the pool?
-Should you wait one full turnover when adding chemicals (chlorine, acid, etc) before allowing swimmers into the pool?

Uncle Ben said:
Loved that "pool conservation" link. I'll be saving that one.
Hope the OP doen't mind if I add a question or two....

-Should the pump typically be running when there are swimmers in the pool?
-Should you wait one full turnover when adding chemicals (chlorine, acid, etc) before allowing swimmers into the pool?

Running the pump is just whatever your preference is. If you do not have a safe cover on your main drain then you may want to think about leaving it off. The good thing I have found is I run mine and anything that gets stirred up, gets pulled into the skimmer.

In reference to your second questions, if I add chemicals before people are going swimming, I usually have them wait 30 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.