low pressure from outflow is filter the problem

Jun 20, 2010
I have read as much I can on this forum for hours :-D Great site, helpful people.

I have owned this house and pool for 5 years. this year since I opened the pool 2 weeks ago, the water outflow pressure from the eye (2) is very low. I opened and cleaned my DE filter and removed each of the grids (8) and cleaned them.

There is some improvement, but not much. The PSI on the filter is about 27. Some air in basket.

When I backwash the outflow of water pressure seems very good and the basket has no air. So I am assuming the problem is the filter.

Do I need to replace the grids OR is there other explanation for this problem

Appreciate any help.

Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like you have a restriction in the plumbing that is preventing full water flow. How does your filter pressure compare to what it normally is, is it higher or lower than usual? Also, double check any values you have to make sure nothing is set to partially block the flow of water.

Thanks for the reply. The Pressure is higher (27) than normal, usually it is about 20 psi. There are no valves to the outflow, since the water from the filter goes to the chlorinator (New water type) and then into the pool through the outlet.

The near eye (deep end, close to the pump) has good flow (still not as good as before) the farther eye (near shallow end) has very little flow.

Yes the pump strainer basket has been cleaned. When I backwash the flow through the backwash hose is very good, which means all the water INTAKE (from skimmer and bottom return) should be fine. Also the pump strainer basket fills up with water when backwashing. but as soon as I switch to filter mode - in a few minutes there is air in the strainer basket - which suggest the outflow through the filter or something else may be the problem

Even though I cleaned the DE filter grids - they are brown in color, Could they be causing obstruction since they are old?

If there is air in the pump basket then there is air getting into the suction line. Could be that the skimmer is sucking air in or a suction side leak somewhere. Check the skimmer weir to make sure it's working properly and not sticking. Another common place is the pump basket lid. Check the o-ring and lube it good with silicon pool lube before you put it back on.

I open and resealed (with silicone lube) the filter basket. Also the skimmer weir is not stuck - it is kinda floating since there is not much suction there ( it still works) the suction in the skimmer goes up when I only have that on (turn dial to shut off ground suction port).

Still no change in inflow strength.

It does not have a mutliport valve - at least not the one you can just recirculate the water. The 2 pipes bring water from skimmer and bottom vent the motor ..this goes to the the filter ..from there the pipes take it to the chlorinator and out to the outflow.

I do not know how old my filter grids are, I have owned the pool for 5 years (the pool may be about 13 years old). Not sure if the grids have ever been changed. They only have a couple of tiny holes. Does any one know how ofter the grids should be changed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the service guy show up today - even though he was supposed to come next Wednesday - so i would have time to sort things out here.

I was not home, He left a message saying that my return line was not working well. Here is his explanation he gave - that I have put granulated chlorine tabs in my chorinator which result in build up of gas in line and caused problem with return line so they are no longer working well. Thus low output of water. That is causing the grids to burst due to back pressure, since water has no place to go.

I have the "New Water" chlorine cartridge system for chlorinating the pool.

My Question is doesn't everyone use chlorine tabs to chlorinate water returning to the pool. So why would there be gas build up and the pipes not work.

HE also recommended I get a new filter ($1100) and that my water output would have to be switched to the vacuum return line since the other output line is not working well.

I could really could use some help from you guys - what the next step should be

Wow, that guy gave you a lot of BS. Never call him again! Gas blocking a return line and bursting grids as a result is complete hogwash.

You could try a drain king or something to see if you can find/fix the blockage. Other folks here have much ore experience than I, hopefully they'll be along to help.

Listen to MITS, never call that guy again. Even if there are problems his explanation is atrocious.

Can you post a picture of your plumbing and equipment? We can probably give you some pointers on how to troubleshoot the problems.

Sorry for the late followup - was away for work.

ALso I just ordered and installed new grids for my DE filter - just in case the grids were blocked and causing low outflow.

The low outflow through both outlet is still very low (one has no flow) - so the water is staring to get murky.

As requested I am posting some pictures of the pump.

When I backwash the flow throw back wash is very good - so the motor works, the suction line - skimmer and ground-in flow works.)

Which means there is something going on with the outflow pipes.

I had a chance to talk to the manager of the above guy who came to service (they orginally build the pool) He mentioned that the pipes for outflow are "flexpipes" and can be damaged if chlroine leaks in to it. I use the "new water chlorinator' but have been cutting the cartridge and adding 3 inch tabs from leslie.

What should be my next step - I appreciate all the help

Attachments

• pool pics A.jpg
    pool pics A.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 138
  • pool pics B.jpg
    pool pics B.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 134
Have you tried a drain king in the return lines from the equipment back to the pool? Sounds like a possible blockage?

If flex hose was used for the return lines, perhaps the ground settled causing a kink? Not sure if this could happen with flex pipe. No idea how chlorine could cause a kink or other blockage, and if the pipe split you'd be losing water and that still wouldn't explain the back pressure.

Sure sounds like a blockage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.