Pump Leaking

estogo

Jul 14, 2009
Houston
Hey guys,

I live in Texas and for a while thought my water loss was relatively normal due to intense heat and evaporation (plus I swim a lot, normal spashout). I have an irrigation system and planted a station to fill in the pool with a 1/4" drip line for about 20 minutes a day (unless it rains, then I delay the timer).

Anyway, last night I was inspecting the equipment (really want to introduce a homemade "liquidator" type of setup) and noticed it was a little wet around the main pump. The next morning it was bone dry (pump hadn't ran all night). I ran the pump again and there was a little water building up from the pump (not sure where, must be underneath? Didn't see any visible source).

I've had this pump for about one year and eight months (but it may have been leaking the whole time) so I'm wondering if that's normal (I don't think so).

So my questions are...

What are typical causes or diagnostics to determine where your pump is leaking from?

Is some water loss from the pump normal? (don't think so)

I can ride like this for a while (water not that pricey) but the point is I'm losing more that I should and I'm wondering if I should bother contacting the pool manufacturer (argh, Blue Haven) or just delay the normal wait for the pump to die and buy another and deal with the water loss.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

- Stogo

Welcome to TFP!

It's not normal to have water puddling on your equipment deck.

Unless someone else can think of another way, I would probably shut the pump off and let things dry. Then, I would start the pump up again and just watch for drips. This way, you can probably tie it into a connection or something like that.

Water can travel a long way from a leak. Check the treaded connection on the top of your pump.( the line that goes to the filter) If thats dry , its going to be in the pump. Are there any air bubbles in the pump strainer basket? Check the pump drain plug area, the pump housing for cracks. Teflon the drain plug if needed.
Thats about all I can think of at the moment.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

When the pump first fires up for the day check the underside of the pump where the motor attaches to the housing. A blown seal assembly will drip there.

Let us know what you find.

Well it's definately leaking from where the base of the pump is attached to the slab.

Looks like I'm going to find out how long the warranty is from Blue Haven. Pool is one year and ten months old.

Thanks guys.

Why wait for those wanks?

It'd take me longer to search for the detailed advise that's already been posted here than to actually change the seal :lol:

OK, I understand that it's a ~newish pump and should be warrantied but, honestly - it'd take me < 15 minutes to fix this, and step by step instructions have been posted here. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.