very frustrated. water is now green?

rsharp

Jun 12, 2010
im soo mad. first of all its my parents pool. (i live with them)... our pool has been clear all year but there has been a nasty iron stain on the botttom. i took care of the stain with stain free and metal free (plus polyquat 60). its been exactly one week since i did the treatment. ive been adding 6% bleach all week but it hasnt been registering on this cheap A** test kit ive been using. throughout the whole staining process the pool has been crystal clear and the pump has been running. on friday my mom turned the pump off and the next day(yesturday) i woke up and went outback to find a cloudy blue pool. i added 6 gallons of 6% bleach. plus 3 more after that. so i added 9 gallons of bleach to the pool yesturday and when i wake up today the pool is a cloudy green. i feel like im going backwards.
my mom knows nothing about pools so maybe if you could tell her how important it is to have a good test kit she will buy one(i will let her read these messages) . she thinks i want her to buy a $70 test kit for no reason. i really dont no what direction to go in with this pool. does anyone have any sugestions. i can give you an "ideal" test from this cheap a** drop test and the strips.

FC 5
CC 0
Alk 80
Ph 7.2
cya 62 (got this tested at pool store on wed.)

I must say the water is a little clearer than yesturday (you can see the bottom) but there is a green tint to the water. (wasn't there yesturday)...
this is me :grrrr: this is my mom :?: this is where we want to be :cheers:

Hey there, rsharp,

First, I want to tell you that is a great post. We all feel your pain very, very much. It is impossible to manage a pool successfully without a good test kit. They usually pay for themselves and more the very first season.

It sounds like you have an algae bloom that you can't quite kill. Naturally, a good test kit would allow you to test your own CYA, CC's and FC level so you can shock it properly and get the pool crystal clear.

BTW, you have a very good grasp of the chemistry involved.

I think that having a good test kit is probably the most important thing that you can possess when owning a pool. Without one, it's sort of like trying to treat a medical condition without accurate blood tests.

The TF-100 (link in my sig line) is the best value on the market and uses Taylor reagents. The $68 for the kit is well worth not having to show up at the pool store every month spending hundreds and never getting things right in the process. We know the system. We know how it works. Our pools really are trouble free because of it.

i guess im gonna drain my pool 33% to try and get the cya to around 40. that would be less bleach that i have to put in. dont know if this would help or not but 8-15 gallons of bleach per day is crazy. i could use some tips. if you have any they are very much apreciated!

I think that lowering the CYA like you are planning to do is a good thing. You are going to have to shock your pool pretty hard and be consistent in maintaining the FC needed to shock. During the process, the pump must run 24/7 until it is complete (which may take a few days). Brush lots and backwash the filter when indicated by pressure rise.

rsharp said:
ive been looking for a starting point. so i guess i will start by lowering the cya. i was getting ready to name our pool "The Sharp Family Pond!"
been there, done that, you're on the right track. In case you haven't found these handy references on the forum here's the : Chlorine/CYA chart
and the Pool Calculator
Good test kit is absolutely a must - cheapo test kits won't read the chlorine levels high enough for what you need when you've got high CYA, and pool store testing can be spotty at best: before I found this forum, I once had the pool store tell me that my chlorine level was too high for them to test (and I'd guesstimate that my FC was not more than 10 at the time). And in all the times I had it tested at the pool store, maybe only once did they tell me that the CYA levels were high and I had no clue that the powdered shock I was adding to the pool was adding to the CYA problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED....... my pool had lacked chlorine for so long all of the nasty Crud built up and turned the pool cloudy.. i shocked it for 2 days and let the pump keep running and now my pool is crystal clear. Thanks Everybody!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.