filter question

May 26, 2010
First of all, a big THANK YOU to TFP. My pool is clear! :whoot: I know how to test the water and take care of it, but most important (for me, anyway), I know WHY. I hate being told to add this powder, or add that liquid with no explanantion as to why, and now I'm not in the dark anymore. I used to think that the pool store folks had some sort of conspiracy going to keep me uninformed and buying chemicals, but honestly, I just think they don't know much about pool water chemistry. Anyway, thank you TFP!

So now that I've got my water clear and beautiful, I'm noticing sand in the bottom of the pool. Yesterday was the first day I didn't vaccuum to waste--I used a cover plate and nylon over the skimmer basket. I also didn't realize that I needed to backwash and rinse after doing so. There was a little bit of sand in there yesterday, but more this morning.

Before I get back in and start cleaning again, can someone tell me the proper procedure for vacuuming to filter? I've decided before I freak out and start worrying about cracked laterals or broken parts, I'll start with the simple stuff and work up. After all, it WAS plain ole' household bleach that turned my swamp into a pool again! How bad can this be, right? :goodjob:

Hey Rhonda,
First thing is that you need to change your sig from currently cleaning to cleaned maybe. :)

It's easier to vacuum to filter than to waste. Do it the same way except just leave the multiport on filter instead. You only need to backwash if your pressure rise indicate it.

To tell if the sand is coming from the filter or not just tie a sock over the return and run the pump. If the sock has sand in it then the filter is the problem and will require a bit more investigation.

duraleigh said:
Rhonda, please!! I hate to see you tying one on so early!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

(Yeah, I know, I know.....it seemed funny when it was in my brain but no so much in print!!)

bwaaahaahaaa......actually it WAS pretty funny in print too..... :lol: :lol: :lol: especially since I ended up getting sidetracked with a broken lawnmower belt, throwing tools all over the yard, and finally just grabbed a cold one and ended up in the pool all day..... It's SOOOOO hot here! :grrrr:

Anyway, good news--no sand in the sock AND I found the problem. There were three rips in the bottom of the pool liner and sand was coming in there. Thankfully, I had some wet/dry patch on hand and didn't have to interrupt my floating with a trip to the store. They are now patched and hopefully the patches will hold. :-D Thanks again, guys. I am enjoying my pool SOOOO much this summer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.