Searching the Site

SteveE

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lafayette, IN
As a newbie, I try to search for existing information before asking a question that may have already been answered. However, I sometimes have trouble finding what I'm looking for using the site's search feature.

I am not trying to sound critical - the search will find terms I'm looking for. But I usually get so many results, that it takes awhile to look thru all of the search results!

Is it possible to post a search tutorial or sticky on how to best perform a search? Maybe there is a more effective way to do a search that I'm not aware of. I've tried using some standard search tweaks, such as putting phrases in quotes, or using Boolean symbols (+, -,etc.) to fine tune my search with mixed results.

Another suggestion, although this may be built in to the phpbb structure and therefore not changeable, is to add an "advanced" search option, or maybe be able to do a 2nd tier search, based on initial search results?

I think as the forum becomes more and more popular, and the number of posts continues to rise, just browsing through them in a search for specific info may become more difficult.

I use Google to do my searches. Simply add 'site:troublefreepool.com' to the end of your search term. The quality of the search is far better though they haven't usually indexed the most recent posts.

The problem with the local search is that it lists all posts that match any word in the query in date order. You don't get any information about the 'quality' of the match. Not usually a big deal as Google works quite well.

Glad to hear the google tip. But based on other forums I read, the biggest thing missing is an option to search topic titles ONLY. Searching message text returns too many results. The most mundane search term like "leaking pump" returns many discussions that have nothing to do with the term.

Allowing people to search Topic Titles ONLY (in addition to the other options) will allow people to find their info a lot quicker. Is this something that can be turned on?

Thanks for listening....
Kevin

Glad you posted this thread...

The search leaves a lot to be desired. I seldom find what I'm looking for using it. I think part of the problem is that it includes the signatures. Being able to omit those would be helpful. Advanced search capability would definitely help.

The search feature is phpbb default and not something I can change.

A variation of Jason's method that may be a little quicker is to enable the "search site" function of the Google toolbar, assuming you have the toolbar installed.

If so, just go to settings, then options, then buttons. Check the box for "search site." Then you will see a new little icon in your toolbar next to the search box. When you want to search TFP (or any other site), just type your query in the box and instead of clicking go, or enter, click the new icon (looks like eyeballs inside a magnifying glass.)

Another advantage of using the Google toolbar is the spell checker is FAR more advanced than the one installed in the forum.

hth.

In case anyone missed it, one of the new features added to the site is a built in Google Site search. You no longer have to use the trick to get Google to do your search of TFP.

You'll find the Google search box on the home page and at the bottom of every other page.

Enjoy. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.