New to the forum and pools. Been a swimmer all my life in pools and the ocean, even a lifeguard but never had pool maintenance as a responsibility. So forgive my complete ineptitude...
I bought a house with an old pool (25+ years). Purchased from a widow who did very little upkeep. I live in Maui and we have two kids who love the pool. They are in it at least 2x per day. Here are the specs on the pool:
- approx. 25k gallon kidney shaped
- in ground.
- plaster pool (old and needs to be resurfaced some time in the near future).
- Sand filter with 1 horsepower pump runs about 8 hours per day
- Very windy area with a lot of organic matter. I check the baskets 2x per day and skim the pool 2x per day removing a lot of leaves and debris.
- Current Pool Temp is approx. 84 degrees.
Here are the issues:
I had some algae problems early on but we seem to have the algae under control. With repeated shocking and some algecides. The pool water is clear, but there is a fair amount of dirt on the bottom of the pool and it seems kind of milky and murky at the bottom.
I am now using liquid bleach from Walmart along with some pool shock that I purchased at Costco. (Trying to work through that). I do the shocking / adding of chlorine at night. Usually bringing the chlorine levels way up.
By the next evening the chlorine is down to almost zero again. I thought maybe I had little or no CYA in my pool so I ordered the test kit from here. Got it tonight here is what it told me.
FC - 3 PPM (max)
CC - 0
TC - 3 PPM
PH - 7.2
T/A - 110
CH - 400+
CYA - 100 ++
I don't know the last time the pool was drained. I am told the filter got new sand last summer. I am trying to stay on top of maintenance, but the amount of Chlorine I am burning through seems ludicrous. Any ideas / suggestions as to where I may be going wrong?
Thank you in advance for your guidance...