LP Grill purchase help - likely buying tomorrow

zephans

LifeTime Supporter
Hi Fellow TFP folks!

Questions:
1. Which brand/model do you think best fits my needs and budget? (below)
2. What should I look for to determine grill quality:
a. Sturdy construction - what areas typically poop out on grills and how to tell good quality from disposable construction?
b. Materials/Stainless steel thoughts? Per other thread Stainless (300 ss series) sounds really good - bring magnet to verify it does NOT stick to 300ss. However I don't know if ss is overpriced, better than enamel/powder-coated cast iron, or if there is some ceramic grill rack that is available???

3. Where have you found the best place to get LP Grills?
I don't mind buying online (typically buy.com, craigslist.org (limitied time to search though), and amazon.com). Home Depot and Lowes are both nearby.

Initial Thoughts:
Probably Weber, but need to look at makes and models available online and around town.
1. $638 (inc. tax) Weber Spirit S-320 at Home Depot: 3 burner, no side burner :( , 36K BTU, Porcelain-enameled cast iron grates
2. $550 (inc. tax) Weber Spirit E-310 at Home Depot: 3 burner, no side burner :(, 36Kbtu, 3 stainless steel burners :).
3. $297 (inc. tax) Char-Broil at Home Depot: Stainless Steel, 4-burner, 48K BTU, side burner, Porcelain-coated cast iron grates. I'm concerned about brand quality.
4. $220 (inc. tax) Nexgrill grill on special at Home Depot (normally $379) but I'm concerned it might be too low end or won't last. (It has 4 burners with rotisserie burner :?: , 634sq. in., 48K BTU, side burner, enclosed cart, Porcelain cast iron cooking grids.)

Background:
I don't grill much, but that's likely due to equipment more than operator. I've got an old red painted (aluminum fire box?) Weber LP grill that stopped working early last year. I think mud wasps clogged up the LP jets but I couldn't figure it out after replacing the regulator + 1 hour of tinkering. Even if I fixed it I'm tired of the black paint flecks on inside of the lid lid seasoning the food every time the lid shuts too hard. I've been promised a father's day grill, but I want to get something that works well and lasts. Budget is ~$300-$800 I think, but might go a bit more if quality jump is really worth it. I like cooking salmon, roasting veggies, chicken, and anything else I can.

Needs:
1. Reliable: Lasts 10+ years, doesn't rust, rarely cleaned, puts up with neglect and wet climate (Seattle weather).
2. Scaleable: Feed 2 adults & 2 Tweens easily at least once a week, feed 8 ~once a month, and feed ~18 on 4th of July and couple other big events (like when it gets over 90 in Seattle since we have one of the very few pools around :mrgreen: ). I might also invite software development team of 11+ this summer now that I live only 10 blocks from work :cool: .
3. LP gas. Sorry, but I don't have patience and often don't have time for charcoal or wood.
4. Middle-to-high quality (to meet requirement #1 and have good grilling experience)
5. 3 or more burners
6. Side burner for boiling water (typically do big stew pot full of corn while grilling for family)
7. Upper shelf - I've loved this when I've had one for slowing cooking or keeping hot but mostly done cooking.

Wants:
8. Griddle plate - I've got a collapsable camping stove that I run one burner with a grill and other with a griddle and it works great for small jobs!
9. Rotisserie (or at least attachment-compatible).
10. Something that has spare parts available for less than an arm and a leg. (Weber is a winner in this category.)
11. Convertible to natural gas in case I ever start grilling often enough to draw piping around 40'.

My guess is a Weber grill is where I'll end up. I haven't read up on all the models yet (genesis, gold, platinum, etc.). I don't think I have the budget for ceramic (plus ceramic grills typically are charcoal/wood for purists). Charmglow, Grill???, and other brands don't instill confidence in me.

Yes, I know I should have posted at least a week ago to get well rounded feedback :hammer: . At this point I'll take anything I can get. Even if it's past due I like learning for next round or to help others.

... and then there's the unheard of brand wild card used grill that sounds pretty darned good (and has nice clean picture):
Cherry hill deluxe bbq grill.They don't come any nicer than this.3 stainless steel main burners with 54,000 btu's.1 side burner with 12,000 btu's.1 infared back burner with 12,000 btu's.Individual ignition on all three main burners.Double wall stainless steel hood with thermometer.Total cooking area 813 sq. inches.heavy duty cast iron side burner cooking grate.304 series stainless steel cooking grates,smoker tray,towel drawer,removable ice chest,and double wall cabinet door.Aluminum framed countertop with granite inserts.Rotisserie kit.6 heavy casters and lp tank included.Only used once.Perfect fathers day present. Paid 1800.00 for it must sell.Overall size 83.5"long x 26.25" wide x 48" high
3n43k03o25Y35Q45R0a6iad887610841e1465.jpg

I might consider GrillDome Large or SuperDome https://site406.mysite4now.com/gril...ducts_id=91&osCsid=rge7h9fobc71edkmem85m31ub7 ceramic grills. I like the idea of indestructibility and using less fuel (sustainability is a very big thing for me, and using wood would make us independent if gas was out for length of time (however that's unlikely in my suburb))... but I'm leery of setup and cleanup times. It's usually hard enough for me to throw all the goodies on the grill and keep a close eye on them to come out at the right time. Also no rotisserie option :). Also my wife wants to grill casually so less tinkering will likely win the day... but Darn, Sean makes GD sound very juicy.

My wife bought me a Weber Genesis a few months ago and having owned many different brands and styles of grills I like this one a lot. By the way, the Genesis is the Lowes version of the Spirit-S sold by HD.

Bama Rambler said:
My wife bought me a Weber Genesis a few months ago and having owned many different brands and styles of grills I like this one a lot. By the way, the Genesis is the Lowes version of the Spirit-S sold by HD.
Bama, I understand that the Genesis S-310 is the best of the weber grills to get. I have seen a few differences between the Spirit-S series and the Genesis S series. What are your thoughts?

All I know is that it's the best grill I've ever owned so far. The temp control is what I'm most impressed with. The drip system is great The entire funnel tray can be slid out for cleaning and the catch pan is easy to handle and clean. The nnly thing I wish was different is the placement of the control knobs. They're convenient to reach but take up some of the right hand shelf.

I ended up buying a new Weber Genesis S-310 (LP90901) stainless steel grill for $799 + tax. It is currently $100 (~9%) off regular $899 price. I figured I could buy several modifications (side burner, cover, nice outdoor table for prep area) and extras around the yard instead of paying an extra $500 for the Weber Summit ($1399+tax). Anyone heard of a kit to move knobs to the front of a Weber Genesis? Better yet, I'll construct (or preferably find online) a stainless steel metal shelf that screws on over the control panel side to give me more prep area AND help protect the knobs from outdoor weather :mrgreen: !.

* I avoided the "Cherry Hill" grill on Craig's List because I found only two web hits on the Internet and both were very obscure... so there is zero chance I'd ever find spare parts.

* I avoided the $499 Brinkmann stainless steel 5 burner with side burner and rotisserie burner. It was tough to give up so much extra functionality and $300 less, but construction quality was visibly lower (thinner metal, etc.) and I really want this grill to last 10+ years... Besides, I read other posts where people said they bought beautiful grills that worked so-so or like junk.

TIP: The shift manager at Home Depot recommended I treat the stainless steel with Armor All, wiping with the "grain", about once every 6 months to avoid stainless steel pitting caused by standing water. I'd never heard of this technique, but it makes sense and should be really easy to do. I'll let everyone know if my new grill makes hamburgers and salmon that smell like a new car. I'll definitely avoid installing a car air freshener :-D.

By the way, I was tempted to get the $649 Weber E-310 with porcelean-impregnated cast iron grills and powder-coated hood. They told me the cast iron lid helps keep it hotter, but again I decided on durability and rust-resistance over price or even some potential difference in grilling experience. I love the S-310's solid stainless steel grill - extremely solid feeling. (Although the Summit has completely over-the-top sized solid ss bars for its grill.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.