Shopping for new filter and pump

Jun 19, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Current equipment
1. Old, old, old PacFab DE filter which is rusty and we can't open to clean the grids
2. Rather old PacFab pump with Centurion ePlus motor. 3/4 HP with 1.67 service factor
3. one piddly little water feature that we don't use (similar to putting your thumb over a hose to widen the spray
4. Poolverneugen 2 wheel suction cleaner
5. Intermatic single clock timer (T104)

Pool info
1. roughly 20,000 sf, one skimmer, one drain
2. Pump/Filter runs 10 hrs/day in summer, 8 hours in the summer. All off peak at 8 cents/KWh
3. Equipment is 15 feet from the pool. There are a total of 4 pipes coming out of the ground (2 to pump, 2 from filter)
4. Recently, the pump hasn't had the power to run both the Poolverneugen and the skimmer, possibly due to the filter being overdue to get the grids cleaned.
5. We've never had any water issues

A respected pool company recommends the Pentair CCP420 and the Intelliflo VS-SVRS. We're fine with making the switch to a Cartridge filter. Doing the basic computation for current pump operations costs, I get between $180 (based on 3/4 HP) and $350/year (based on 1.25 total brake HP). So I'm thinking the Intelliflo is more than we need, and a 1 HP two speed pump may be a better fit. But I'm still not clear on how easy it is to automate a two speed for the different speeds, or more specifically, which two speed pumps will work if we added a T106 to the T104. Any thoughts or recommendations on pumps?

257WbyMag and Rangeball, thanks for the feedback.

Is there any issue electrically going from a 230 volts to 115? I'm still torn on the two speed for $600-650 or the VS-SVRS for $1060. The automation available is a big plus--the VS-SVRS can be set for high speed for an hour, a lower speed for 10 hours and then back to a higher speed, correct, where as getting a two speed pump to do that is more challenging/costly if I don't have any current automation (other than an INtermatic T-104 timer).

--Keith

I went ahead and splurged for the VS - SVRS, and have decided to do the the install of everything with the help of my father in law, who's done a couple of installs himself, and has a lot of DIY plumbing/electrical experience.

Here's the current equipment:
IMG_1329.jpg

A couple of questions based on quotes I've received and other research.
1. Both quotes I got included a new equipment pad that was plastic/resin and not cement-based. Is that standard? Should I just go with cement? And is sand fine to go between the existing pad and the new one?
2. Is it worth switching to the Jandy space saver valve to get rid of the little jog in the skimmer pipe?
3. For the red valves, what is the purpose of the one on the main return? The other one is for a small aerator, which i get since we don't always have that one.
4. CCP 420 or Quad 60? My understanding is that the Quad requires cleaning only a couple of times a year in most cases, like a regular cartridge filter, and the grids elements last longer, like DE grids. Is that correct? If we go that route, we'd install the push/pull, as that's what we currently have.
5. Any other tips or comments?

Thanks in advance for any input!

--Keith

1) Personally, I like concrete pads better, but plastic pads have gotten popular and are basically fine.
2) If you are re-doing the plumbing anyway it should be easy to eliminate the jog and is worth the effort. But I would leave it alone unless you have to replace that section anyway.
3) Every once in a while it is nice to turn off all the valves while you are working on the equipment.
4) Get the larger filter if you can afford it. A larger filter is always better.

Thanks Jason.

Following up on Kevin's thread a bit, what, if any, is the filtering difference between the Quad 60 and the FNS 60? Are DE cartridges and grids of the same size going to filter the same; have similar flow rate, need a similar time between cleaning? It seems like the Quad was developed to increase the max size of a DE filter, with the option of avoiding the backwash. Is that accurate?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.