What is scratchcoat?

How are you prepping the surface? Are you abrading the existing finish or taking it all the way down to gunite?

If you are only abrading the surface, use a Bondkote to prep. If you are going all the way to gunite, make sure it is clean and you can plaster right over the gunite.

A scratch coat is the first layer of plaster that is applied when using more than one layer. While still wet, this coat is scratched or marked. The scratches help the next coat of plaster adhere to the scratch coat properly. They provide an uneven surface that the second coat can interlock with, creating a strong bond between the layers.

As simicrintz suggested, a scratch coat is almost never used with a swimming pool.

simicrintz said:
How are you prepping the surface? Are you abrading the existing finish or taking it all the way down to gunite?

If you are only abrading the surface, use a Bondkote to prep. If you are going all the way to gunite, make sure it is clean and you can plaster right over the gunite.

Thanks fellas,

I'm going to waterblast my old marcite and then have it re-plastered as long as I have the pool empty.

It's a 40yr old gunite pool.

Just finished tile today.

I guess bondkote seems to be the answer, as I'm going over old marcite. I have used the Hilti to go over the old returns down to gunite, and the main drain, and light bucket. I'm going to add another return line directly across from the skimmer while I have the concrete out.

Where would be a good place to get the proper bondkote? Concrete/brick supply house?

Here's a pic after I did the demo of the coping and tile.
IMG_0048.jpg

One last picture before the mud bed gets leveled

IMG_0049.jpg

This is after the mudding for where the tile will go

IMG_0053.jpg

This is the tile I picked out

IMG_0055.jpg

Here's after we finished the tile today. Had a friend of a friend help me out greatly with this project.

IMG_0060.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.