Please Help.... Newbie!

Jun 19, 2010
I'm a first time pool owner. Just got 30' AGP installed yesterday. Starting filling with waterhoses using city water. My problem is that my pool holds 22,000 gal. of water and I have been filling with hoses for 24hrs now and water depth in pool is only 1 ft. Looks like it will take 4 days for pool to fill. I plan on using the BBB method for treating. What do I need to be doing now. Will water be in horrible shape in the 4 days it takes to fill up to where I can start using the sand filter? Have a Taylor K2006 test kit. I tested my tap water and it has a FC content of 1.2 and CC of .1.

We just got an inch of rain this morning and I'm really concerned about what to do. I will test the pool water and let you know the results of the existing water in the pool.

The pool store gave me some "Algae Kill" and told me to add it immediately. It has active ingredients of 7.1% of "Copper as Elemental". Is this bad? I think I read where is was ok to us a "poly-quat" for and algae control if absolute necessary.

The pool stroe gave me some "Algaecide 60". The ingredients are "Poly (oxyethylene (dimethylominio) ethylene (Dimethyliminio)-ethylene dichloride........................60%. Is this the polyquat I was reaking about.

I'm trying to learn about this pool stuff quickly by reading this site but it is a lot of info to process. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Great site I may add!!

Don't add that copper algaecide - the pq60 they gave you is the correct stuff.
You can add a small amount of bleach for chlorine sakes but you really need a way to circulate when adding chems.

Do you have a pole/brush combo that you can mix it in? When the pool is half full, add 1/2 a jug of 6% clorox or store brand bleach, the regular unscented kind, in the evening and stir it in to mix well. If you have a submersible pump that can be used to circulate too.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Don't add that copper algaecide - the pq60 they gave you is the correct stuff.
You can add a small amount of bleach for chlorine sakes but you really need a way to circulate when adding chems.

Do you have a pole/brush combo that you can mix it in? When the pool is half full, add 1/2 a jug of 6% clorox or store brand bleach, the regular unscented kind, in the evening and stir it in to mix well. If you have a submersible pump that can be used to circulate too.

Thanks for the quick response. I have a pole brush I can mix with. Do I need to add the polyquat now?

You could add some bleach to the water and stir it with a pool brush to ward off any algea looking for a home.If you dont have any stabalizer yet you need to get some. Place the powder in an old sock and let it hang in the water untill you can get the pump going. then move it in front of a return. Other than that you really should wait untill the pool is filled and the pump can circulate. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much bleach to take say 10k gal. water to 4ppm FC. and add that. sunlight will eat that up in a day so check it every day. The idea here is to have something in the water untill its filled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.