does rain cause water cloudiness.

rsharp

Jun 12, 2010
i started a stain treatment last sunday and everything was going good; i put in the polyquat 60 last sunday as well. i woke up last night to a bad rain storm. i just went to the pool (i was going to vacume it) and the water is a very blue cloudy color. i can barely see the bottom but it is visible. My pool has been clear all year. when i saw this i freaked out and ran inside. i can tell you my FC and CC are both 0.. and there were swimmers yesturday. i will post other chemical levels shortly.

Rain has a minimal affect on water balance. This probably has more to do with the lack of chlorine.

what was the chlorine level while the swimmers were in the pool?
what is the CYA level?
what are you testing with?

1. lower the ph down to 7.2 with muratic acid first, wait 30 minutes and test again. Use the Pool Calc to determine dosage. Add more MA if necessary.
2 Continue to filter 24/7 till it clears.
3. Add enough liquid chlorine to reach 2ppm. Keep adding 2ppm chlorine daily until it begins to hold. After a recent stain treatment, you don't want to shock for 2 weeks, and you want to add chlroine slowly. so do only 2ppm at a time. If you add more than that you risk the stain returning.

i have a lot of metal sequesturant in my pool so i went ahead and shocked it. first i lowered my Ph to 7.0 b/c my Alk. is low so im gonna add some baking soda to raise it. i just shocked it and im waondering if i should flock the pool tonight.. i dont let people swim unless the water is clear so im thinking it would take too long to clear it using the sandfilter alone.. anyone have any ideas?

I have to recommend from personal experience NOT to use floc. 5 yrs ago (when I was naive) I used floc twice, the first and last time. It was a horrible experience, causing more cloudiness, foam, etc. Long story, but more trouble than it was worth. Took almost 2 weeks to get the stuff out of my pool! As far as the rain, it depends. I've noticed that heavy rains have dulled my water a bit, but after about an hour or so of filtration it clears up. I chalk this up to the chlorine doing its job and oxidizing whatever was in the rain. I do remember, a few years ago, we had storm come through and dump about 4 inches of rain in 2 hr period. This did wreak havoc on the ph and cc, and clouded the water a little, but we're talking extreme circumstance. An average rainfall usually has no effect on clarity of my water. You may want to try the DE trick with your filter though. I believe its in a sticky thread here somewhere. If you think your water is clear now, after DE it will be invisible ;)

you must have used a bad brand b/c my expierience with that product was very nice. i put some in every couple weeks now. my pool became cloudy because it lacked chlorine for a while. i added the right amount of bleach and let the pump run non stop now my pool looks better than ever!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.