Taylor Speed Stir

jasonknox

Platinum Supporter
May 4, 2010
SW Georgia
Just got my new gadget a Taylor Speed Stir. It calculated my clorine at 4ppm while the manual way that I use to do it calculated 16ppm. Does the fact that it spins more affect the numbers? I did test twice with using both the standard method and the speed stir and the results were the same.

I don't know the answer but sure am waiting to see a post from someone who does. Considering getting one myself. But man, those numbers sure have a heck of an "accuracy" gap just from some shaking.

Yeah, that's the FAS/DPD.

Jason, that has to be an operator error of some type.

Once the powder turns the solution pink, I can't see that it matters if your swirl it with your hands, stir it with a spoon, or use the speedstir........it'll take virtually the same number of drops to turn the solution clear regardless of the mixing method.

When you perform the test manually, you are swirling to mix, right?

Mixing is mixing......there's nothing the speedstir can do to introduce a variable into the test......perhaps a drop off or so but certainly not a 4X error.

There are a couple of possibilities that can introduce that large of an error in testing.
  1. Are you leaving the stir bar in the vial when measuring the sample?[/*:m:pg8qwc7n]
  2. When manually testing are you swirling between each drop of R0871 or are you adding several drops and then swirling?[/*:m:pg8qwc7n]
I've ran across a couple of people that swirl after the R-0870 till it turns pink and then just drop the R-0871 in till it turns clear without swirling it at all.

I do swirl after adding the powder. Before I add any drops I make an educated guess as to where my clorine is and add drops to get close and then swirl. For example if I decide that my clorine is 5ppm, I may add 6 drops and then swirl. Based on the color after swirling determines how many dorps I add before swirling again. Once I get to light pink I add one drop at a time swirling in between drops. I know this is cheating but figure that the instructions were for the true beginner who had no idea what their clorine was. Could it be that I am not swirling vigorously enough?

I measure the water before adding the stir bar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just performed both test swirling between each drop and had 7 drops with the speed stir and 9 drops manually. Looks as if swirling between drops is very necessary, if you want accurate results. I quess using the speed stir will eliminate any variations in swirl technique.

Well I am at a loss. I performed the test three different ways all with different results although two methods were within .5ppm which I consider to be OK. See below the test method and results.

Test 1: 10ml of water in the speed stir. Drop in agetator and powder and turn on. While spinning I added drops of 871 until it turns clear.
Results: 10 drops to clear resulting in 5ppm

Test 2: 10ml of water in the cylinder add powder and swirl manually. Added six drops of 871 and swirled, Added 2 drops and swirled three times each, and finally added 1 drop and swirled four times each.
Results: 16 drops of 871 to clear resulting in 8ppm

Test 3: 10ml of water in the cylinder add powder and swirl manually. Added one drop of 871 at a time and swirled between each drop.
Results: 15 drops of 871 to clear resulting in 7.5ppm

I noticed the same thing when I got my speedstir.

My CH went down when using the machine to stir. Almost 20%! And the new number has held consistent through three more CH tests several days apart.

FC also dropped. I filled the vial, added the powder, let it stir a while, added about half the drops. It stopped. Started it again, slowly dripped the rest in. It reads lower than it did swirling manually. And the new FC level has been holding steady, aside from the expected daily drop. Same Chlorine usage in other words.

I trust the speedstir numbers. We had larger versions of it in college chemistry when we were doing titrations, and things were really precise then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.