Pool unopened for 3+ years, need some help!!!

Last night at midnight my FC was 11 and CC 2, I did both tests twice. The I tested at 650 this morning, sun was already up, but the pool was mostly shaded, and the FC read 11.5 and CC 2.5. I can understand how my cc went up overnight, but not my FC! My pump was left running overnight, and I guess I have a small leak somewhere as I added water yesterday, and marked the level last night, and when I got up it was almost 1/4" lower than it was at midnight.

How in the world did I gain .5 of FC over the 6.5 hours between tests?!?!?

Could be testing error. Either the drops were miscounted or there was a math error in the calculation. Also if you tested too soon after adding the bleach it may not read correctly. Make sure you wait at least 1/2 an hour to test after adding bleach. I usually wait an hour. And, if you have a saltwater chlorine generator make sure it is off during the overnight test. Anyway, the CC indicates you still need to shock.

If you want you can do a bucket test to see if it is a leak or evaporation.
Fill a bucket with water, mark the level of the water inside the bucket with a sharpie, set it on the stairs and then mark the level of the pool water on the outside of the bucket. Leave the bucket in place for 24 hours then compare the water loss between the pool level and the bucket level. If the pool and the bucket lost water at the same rate that is evaporation. If the pool loses water more quickly than the bucket you have a leak.

I tested my CYA level again today and it still showed <20, and by what I remember being told already, I need to count that as 0. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer on Saturday the 19th (slowly pouring some in front of the return jet, some down skimmer, and about half scattering it around the pool). I now know that wasn't the proper way to add the stabilizer. But, my problem is now that after 10 days, I still show basically no CYA. So, should I go ahead and add 2 lbs, retest in a week, 4 lbs retest in a week? And of course this time I will put it in a sock and hang in front of the return jet. I don't want to put in skimmer as I am changing and cleaning my cartridges 3-4 times a day. Also, I am on well water, so I don't want to get my CYA level too high and have to do a partial drain and refill and risk my well running dry. Thanks for your help!!!
David

It would make sense that I would lose some due to changing and cleaning the filter cartridges 3-4 times a day, but I would think that it would show at least some reading on the CYA test. When the tube is full to the brim, I can still see the dot pretty easily. According to the pool calculator, 4 lbs(64 oz, this is correct conversion, right?) should raise my CYA by 28. So I guess if I went ahead and added another 4 lbs, at most my CYA would be at 56. But, it surely wouldn't be that high since my reading is basically nothing 10 days after adding the first 4 lbs. I will just plan on going ahead and adding the stabilizer via a sock in front of the return tonight when I get home from work. Unless of course someone tells me different. I really need to get that CYA level up there to help some of the burn off while I am trying to maintain shock level in my pool. Thanks again everyone, I will continue watching for your advice!!!

Or would it continue to be useless adding the stabilizer, as I will still be changing and cleaning my filter for the next few days at a minimum, the rate it's going, maybe another month.

Since your CYA is showing <20 after 10 days, I would recommend adding enough by hanging the sock in front of the return line to increase CYA by 20ppm. That way, if it is close to 20 ppm, you won't end up with unmanageable levels of CYA.

And, I agree with Grape Ape. You probably lost whatever was added through the skimmer since you are cleaning your cartridge so often....

I just put the 44 oz that the pool calculator said I need to raise my CYA by 20 in two socks hanging in front of the return jet. I am going to borrow my dad's sand filter, he thinks it is 200 lbs, to hopefully clean my pool faster since the catridge seems to clog so fast. I was wondering what exactly I should do to the sand in the filter.
1. Should I just stick the hose down in to flush everything out?
2. Should I also rinse and backwash before I use it to filter the water into the pool?
3. Also, my plan is to run the water from the pump into the sand filter and then into the cartridge. Does this sound like the best option, or should I just leave the cartridge filter out of the system all together for now?
4. Also, I have a Hayward Diver Dave automatic cleaner. What do you think about putting this in the pool and letting it run to better filter some of the water from the bottom of the pool?
5. When I brush the pool, it looks like there are white particles being stirred up. They float around the pool for a little while after brushing, then I guess they settle back down to the bottom. What do these white particles sound like to you, and what do you think I need to do about them?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

David

Here are a current set of numbers
FC 12
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 160-180 (at 160 it had just turned a light pink, at 180 it was fairly dark and didn't get any darker no matter how many more drops i added)
CH 200
CYA 30

I got in the pool yesterday evening to see what the bottom of the pool felt like, and it felt clean. I caught a couple random leaves, but no slimy algae. The water is still a cloudy green, but it seems like the algae is almost all dead and it just needs filtered. I recently traded out my cartridge filter for my dad's old 250 lb sand filter. Cleaning the cartridge several times a day was just becoming impossible, due to overtime at work.

How do the numbers look? Anything I need to raise/lower? Does it sound like I just need to maintain chlorine level and keep letting it filter 24/7? I will try to do overnight FC loss test tonight. Thanks for your help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi welcome to the forum, though this thread is 1 month old..

Many of us went through the same thing like you are now.. But I NEVER saw someone posting a CC of 3 :shock:

I can only recommend:

1) Get your TFT test kit (you did)
2) Run your pump 24/7 until the water clears
3) Back wash and rinse your filter constantly during the process
4) Keep FC levels at shock level
5) Brush everyday all the pool
6) Don't feel bad if it takes you 2 months more less to solve this..
7) Patience and routine
8) Help and cheer other up when possible hehe.. I am no expert but have learned a bit
(pool learning is like chess, an infinite world of information and variations or variables that affect the "game" sometimes)

From now on, you just have to wait for your filter to do the clearing. It can take SEVERAL days until this happens and it is key to keep your FC levels at shock level. (now I talk as I know so much! but well, I know this by memory after having to deal a lot with my problems and pools and thanks to the forum and its fabulous members I got it right in the end).

(sorry if I missed any other comments)

Saludos!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.