The most disgusting thing I ever ate

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
In another thread, svenpup suggested that we start a new thread for the most disgusting thing we've ever eaten.

[cue dramatic music]

This. Is. That. Thread.

[/dramatic music]

I've eaten a number of disgusting things over the years, but two really stand out in memory. The first was when I was about 12, I was eating some brownies that were in a plastic bag. When I got to the bottom, there were quite a few crumbs left, so I tipped the thing into my mouth and bit down. Something went "crunch" and I got the most awful gooey sensation in my mouth. I spit out half a cricket that was still wiggling. Yuck.

That was bad, but even worse was one time I was at a restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Everything on the menu looked good, even though I don't really care for fish. I couldn't decide what to get, so I got a "Sampler" with a bit of everything. One of the items on the plate was a steamed oyster.

Now I like oyster stew, and I like cooked oysters. Steamed oysters are not cooked. They are not even really oysters. They are shells full of mucus. No one had ever told me how to eat a shell full of mucus, so I just put it in my mouth and started chewing. I almost lost the entire lunch right there on the plate. :puker: :pukel:

The "friends" I was with, once they quit laughing at my distress, informed me that I was a thoroughly uncultured swine, that everyone innately knows how to eat a shell full of snot, and only a complete idiot would try to chew it. The proper way to eat one, I was informed, was to tip the snot out of the shell into one's mouth and swallow without chewing (or even, apparently, tasting.) My response was, "What the h#ll is the point of that? Why would anyone eat something if they didn't want to chew and taste it?" Of course, I wish I had never tasted it in the first place, but that was kind of my point. I guess I really am an uncultured swine.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea that oysters are an aphrodisiac, but that one sure didn't do anything to increase my "interest."

OK, your turn.

When I first moved out of my parents house, I moved into an apartment with some friends. Months later, my friends moved out, and only me and DW remained. Months after that, I made some toast and was looking for some butter (I found a frozen stick of butter in the freezer.) You can see where this is going....
I thawed the butter, and put it on my toast. I took a bite of the toast, and tasted the most god-awful rancid taste you can imagine. To this day (30 ears later) I still get dry heaves thinking of it. We later found out from our friends whoo previously lived in the appt, that the butter had been in the freezer for YEARS, prior to my arrival.

I like a lot of "exotic" things, sweet meats, brains, etc... Generally alligator is good especially fried.

One winter, visiting my parents in Bonita Springs FL, I ordered alligator and it tasted just like dirty mud from filter backwash mud smells with sandy mud texture. Pretty foul.

The absolute worst is a little green bug we have out here shaped kind of like a pyramid. No, I didn't eat it on purpose and I didn't swallow. My nose was stopped up a bit so I was mouth breathing. I was studying, late at night, with one light on, bug flew in my mouth. I crunched down. It took a hours to get the bitter foul taste out of my mouth. Just like a percentage of people can smell certain odors that others can't I can smell one of these bugs when they are anywhere within a few yards. Almost sends me to puking when I smell one.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The last disgusting thing I remember eating was caviar :rant: I was at a Captain’s reception on a cruise and since I wasn't going to be charged for it, I figured I would give it a try. BLAAaaaaaak I have no idea what people are thinking spending good money on that ick when there is pizza and beer!

Funny alligator story, we were on vacation in Charleston SC and I thought it would be funny to order an alligator appetizer and tell my Mom it was chicken. She was enjoying it until the waitress came by and said to her..."I see you like the alligator". Mom couldn’t spit it out fast enough.

geekgranny said:
The absolute worst is a little green bug we have out here shaped kind of like a pyramid.
Alice, that sounds like what we call a "stink bug" or "p*ss ant" here in my part of the country, except ours are usually brown or grey instead of green. I've never had the misfortune to bite into one, but I did step on one once. Yeah, the smell is atrocious. I cannot even imagine biting into one.

Tim.

I had never even heard of all of the Scandinavian cultural foods my husbands family and people in Northern MN would eat. I didn't think these would be much different from the meat and potatoes meals most families at - UNTIL I went to a church supper/fund raiser up here shortly after just moving here with my husband. Ewww - each dish seemed more disgusting than the last but I was new in the family and didn't want to offend anyone so, yes, I ate them - or pretended to -

Sweetbreads (made from thymus or pancreus) - head cheese (not cheese at all!) - duck blood soup (yep, what it says) - lutefisk (fish dried in lye - reconstituted and baked - smells like rodent urine) - rumegrot (basically a flour/milk paste - they call it dessert!) UGH !! I love my in-laws but cannot eat those things.

TimS said:
geekgranny said:
The absolute worst is a little green bug we have out here shaped kind of like a pyramid.
Alice, that sounds like what we call a "stink bug" or "p*ss ant" here in my part of the country, except ours are usually brown or grey instead of green. I've never had the misfortune to bite into one, but I did step on one once. Yeah, the smell is atrocious. I cannot even imagine biting into one.

Tim.

I'll have to look up the little bugger. It is a bright green and much smaller than a stick bug and peaked on top. Our stink bugs are flatter and brown. The stink bugs around here don't give off the smell unless you mess with them or squish them I guess. :twisted:

gg=alice

NWMNMom said:
I had never even heard of all of the Scandinavian cultural foods my husbands family and people in Northern MN would eat. I didn't think these would be much different from the meat and potatoes meals most families at - UNTIL I went to a church supper/fund raiser up here shortly after just moving here with my husband. Ewww - each dish seemed more disgusting than the last but I was new in the family and didn't want to offend anyone so, yes, I ate them - or pretended to -

Sweetbreads (made from thymus or pancreus) - head cheese (not cheese at all!) - duck blood soup (yep, what it says) - lutefisk (fish dried in lye - reconstituted and baked - smells like rodent urine) - rumegrot (basically a flour/milk paste - they call it dessert!) UGH !! I love my in-laws but cannot eat those things.

lutefisk... :shock: Uff-da!

One Christmas my MIL asked if she could bake the lutefisk in my oven because hers was full already - UFDA is right, my house stunk for days like a dirty hamster cage

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.