viking fiberglass pool

Though not a Viking Pool, I have owned a Fiberglass pool for several years. I absolutely love it! Mine was made locally in Middle Tennessee by C&W pools. The ONLY complaint I have is that it develops yellow stains where the manufacturer sprayed the gel coat in stages. So after 6 weeks or so I get these 4 yellow (dull/dingy-not bright) stripes across the bottom and in some places along the wall. It isn't really that bad and if my water weren't so darn clear :p , you may not notice them. They are however easy top treat with ascorbic acid and Metal-Out. We opted for the Cantilever deck and even put in tile around the top. Unfortunately, I have sold the house and will be moving in a week. The new house has a Vinyl I/G that is nice, but it just isn't MY pool. Hopefully I can replace it with a Fiberglass Pool down the road. Obviously, I think Fiberglass is the way to go.

Dave
(attached is an old picture showing the tile and cantilever deck right after we finished filling the pool)

Edit: Can't seem to get the picture attached :cry:

I did a bunch of research, called a bunch of references and even went and looked at some of my PB's work. We have the Viking Baja and couldn't be happier. The pool is perfect in every way and even though it was filled the first week in December, the water chemistry has been a breeze.

Donnie

Viking/CPC Hydrozone 'A' model as of today

It has been quite a journey to get to today, but we are very pleased with the product . . HOWEVER, not the Viking PB in our area or the 'Viking' company as they don't hold the PB associated to them accountable so be very careful to talk with other owners by this same PB in your area. The shell manufactured by CPC for Viking is very, very well manufactured. It took a lot of effort (an the help from another on this forum who had also been down this same avenue with a Viking PB in there area) to get the shell from CPC in order that we could finish the project ourselves (DIYer) . . . but what a wonderful, wonderful shaphire blue fiberglass pool. The solar was turned on today; we should be swiming in a day or so. The deck goes in next week and then I'll post more pictures. I wish you well with your project and if you have a good Viking PB in your area, you will be very pleased. But please, check them out or you may be stuck having to do the job yourselves as we were.

Attachments

• image_1may07 036 (2)_tinybanner.jpg
    image_1may07 036 (2)_tinybanner.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 917
  • image_1may07 046_tinybanner.jpg
    image_1may07 046_tinybanner.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 917
  • image_1may07 043_tinybanner.jpg
    image_1may07 043_tinybanner.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 922
:-D I had a Viking pool(16 x 40 carribean) installed last year & I LOVE it! Our PB was excellent and I have had no problems at all. I would HIGHLY recommend the in-floor Vantage cleaning system....NO vacuuming
at all....the most I get is a small "collection" near the main drain and I push it with the brush attached to my skimmer pole and VOILA all gone! Hope this helps ...kim

kimalmac said:
:-D I had a Viking pool(16 x 40 carribean) installed last year & I LOVE it! Our PB was excellent and I have had no problems at all. I would HIGHLY recommend the in-floor Vantage cleaning system....NO vacuuming
at all....the most I get is a small "collection" near the main drain and I push it with the brush attached to my skimmer pole and VOILA all gone! Hope this helps ...kim

I'm seriously considering a Viking FG pool. Are you concerned at all that the in floor cleaning system may get heads/valves stuck or damaged down the line? I'm thinking of foregoing the in floor cleaning and getting a robotic cleaner. I'm thinking that when the robot breaks down, I can have it serviced out of the water, or replace it with a newer model. Any pro/cons for the in-floor vs. the robot?

In floor cleaning systems put a LOT of backpressure on the plumbing each time the manifold changes to a different set of popups. Just watch the pump pressure gauge on a system where one is installed to see what I mean. They work but they do not eliminate brushing. Actually, none of the cleaning systems (infloor, pressure, suction, or robotic) will eliminate brushing. The biggest problem with in floor cleaning systems is if they ever need service. I also question whether they are necessary in a fiberglass pool since nothing really sticks to it and a good brushing will get all the dirt into the water so the filter can take it out. If you have a problem with leaves or other large debris then you will need to have a leaf trap installed with the in floor cleaner! Robots and pressure side systems handle things like leaves much better than suction side cleaners (and in floor cleaners are really just very fancy suction side cleaners--all the dirt goes into your filter!)

viking pool with in floor cleaning system

I guess it probably would be easier to fix a robot than an in floor system, but for me it was a good option for a couple of reasons 1. my DH didn't want a pool and does NOTHING for it's maintenance, and I have 3 girls including a set of 5/yr old twins :shock: 2. For everyone I know who has the robot (including my mother) it seem like a daily chore(that I don't have the time for).
This is only my 2nd year with the pool so I can only guess as to break down issues but here's my .02.... The heads in the floor are individually replaceable, valve is above ground and, there are several underground pipes which I guess could be a problem(but no more than other pipes for skimmer, drains, etc). As waterbear says You definitely still need to brush the pool, and not much sticks to the fiberglass(makes cleaning & maintenance easier to start with), and large debris could be a problem(I'm close to the ocean & I get very few leaves but I do get dirt/sand from lots of little feet :wink: ).

In the end, I'm not an expert and maybe a little spoiled & naive, but I'm happy! Hopefully, my in floor cleaner will last many years...if not....I'll have to get a robot.

stevet1...No matter what... you'll love your viking pool! Mine is sapphire blue with borrego tiles in lake blue(nice combo, suggested by my sales girl), 1 cascade, 2 fiber optic lights(if you like a lot of light make sure you spring for more lights....these are not too bright more of an accent....I could have used 1 more).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have the gulf coast viking fg pool and we are happy with it. Now if we can only get rid of the stains.

I have asked this question before and got a detailed answer of how to treat it but it requires dropping the chlorine down to zero and right now I would hate to do it because we just balanced the water after two weeks and it finally looks great.

Try adding some metal out, while keeping the ph at 7.0 - it should lighten up the stains. If not, then wait till you have a problem with your water, and you have to rebalance anyway. One thing when dealing with a fiberglass pool is to make sure that your ph doesn't go above 7.4 - if you have any metal in your water and your chlorine is high along with ph over 7.2 - 7.4, metals will fall out and stain the pool, especially if there is not enough sequestering agent in the water.

Finally got pool installed. So far very pleased. Even though it's only been a couple of weeks.. for the most part about 90% satisfied with installer. One glitch was when th deck was poured and the brushed finished was being done. Had I not been home supervising, the brush strokes would have not been symmetrical. They would not budge at all on discounts. And there was no timer in the electrical system. When I realized this I contacted the COO of the company and he said that it was not needs since I am using a very high efficient variable speed pump. Short story, I put a timer on the system. The dig and basic install was really great. They set the pool in the hole 1 time, checked it for proper foundation and was level within .25 inches.. the pool and color looks wonderful.

Yes ...but only a on function . Once its running power has to be interrupted to start the sequence over again. V1 is prime speed. Starts at 3000rpm runs for 4 min then switches to v3 which I have set at 1500rpm. It will run at that v3 speed till power is interrupted.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.