PVC Hard Plumb Intex 633 Filter Pump to Intex 15X4 Metal Set

Jun 18, 2010
Ok. Had an old 633 pump that pumps waaaaay better than the stock pump included with pool (think that is Intex's way to make more money: they sell these pools as big as 20+ feet but don't include their big pumps so you have to buy a new one from them...)

Anyway, want to hard plumb so I get better suction, better return and durability. Plus, the return hose developed a small pin hole that sprays under pressure and to replace with exact hoses is more expensive than pvc plumbing!

My problem: the filter pump has those weird 1/2 to 3/4 threaded conector. The pump's hoses and connection are 1.5". How do I connect the pvc to the filter pump?

Thanks for the help.

I will post some pics soon, but I'm hoping the pros who have already done this can answer without pictures.

See photo for connection[attachment=0:30zypu5d]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:30zypu5d]
Please ignore the dirty filter pump. It started raining while I was trying to figure everything out. Plus the leak I mentioned earlier made it muddy around the pump.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 601
I have that adapter, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

I've had a couple clear Intex hoses start leaking on me, I use the white threaded ones now.

Going try and get my solar panels hard plumbed along with everything else when I have time for it.

I don't think the intex B adaptor is going to work as the end that you would need to put on the pump is going to be to small.

This ones going to be tricky. Lots of folks hard plumb their intex, but they take the intex pool to a better pumping system that utilizes standard pipe fittings.

Intex making the pump connections like they do makes it extremely difficult to adapt to anything other than their fittings.

I'm thinking outloud here....don't know about a fernco, going to have to tighten that sucker way down to prevent leaks and you would probably crack it. Guess you could always try it.

Edit- I just looked at an old pump, and it seems a 635 model pump, you can unscrew those intex slide fittings with the gasket and could then screw in whatever diameter that is. However looking at the pic of your pump, I don't see where yours unscrew but check it, the smooth fitting with the black o-ring may unscrew out of the pump. If it doesn't, and unfortunately by the looks of your pic I don't think your model does it's back to the drawing board.

Lots of really smart folks on this board, I'm sure someone will have a working solution. The fernco is the best I can think of too, but I'm afraid how much your going to have to crank it down to stop leaks from the pump pressure.

Edit2 P.S. I know this wasn't your intention, but I thought I should say it, tons of folks hard plumb their intex to a standard above ground pumping system, and you can usually find used systems on craigslist. Those who have done this never look back and usually wonder why they didn't do it sooner. But I'm definitely rooting for you to find a solution for anyone else who has this question.

Thanks for the response. I'll check my pump, but I think those outlets are molded in.

The B Adaptor is from the pool. I have the 15' pool so Intex, in all of it's infinite wisdom, graced my pool with the small pump and the 1 1/4" outlets. My pump - 633 - has the 1 1/2" inlet/ outlet. So had to get the B Adaptor to connect the pump's hoses. Will use them to connect pvc to pool. They work great and are threaded so they can be replaced as needed. Plus, end of season removal of pump will be easy: unscrew piping, screw on cap. Drain pump, dry, store 'till next year.

One of the members had pvc going to and out of an Intex SWG (salt water generator) I wonder how he solved this problem and if it even was a problem?

Ahh ok, gotcha on the B adapters. I thought you were going to use them to connect from the pool to the PVC and then you were going to try to use them to go from the PVC to the pump and see if they would fit over that pump fitting. And your right, they do work great for going from the pool to PVC.

On the intex SWG's, I think the newer ones have regular threaded pipe connections but was wondering how they received the intex hoses.....didn't have a whole lot of time to research it, but found this thread - check out the post half way down on this page: intex-swg-t1090-120.html

So back to thinking about your current issue. The fernco I think is still your best bet. I wonder though what the od on that pump connection is....and if it's somewhat standard. Would standard 1.5" flexible schedule 40 go over that connection (without the o ring) and be snug? Then just use pipe clamps to tighten down. Something tells me that connection isn't going to be near standard sizes :(

I ended up going with the fernco (or whatever brand Home Depot sells) and some modification:

I cut off the end of the hose that went over the output and threaded onto the pump. That fit nice and snug into the 1 1/2" fernco. Then put the narrow end of the 90 degree street elbow in the other side of the fernco. Tightened the screws, connected the pipe to the pool... No leaks from the pump connection. Have a small leak at the B Adaptor to PVC fitting. That is because when I was doing dry fit I must have tightened to much and can't separate them. So there's no teflon on the threads. Will try again to get them apart so I can teflon the threads then shouldn't have any leaks. Photos soon.

If it holds up, I'll pvc plumb the intake, too. Going to have to: the pvc pipe seems to have help increase the amount of water moving through the system and the flexible hose can't handle the suction - especially when I have the floating skimmer hooked up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhh necessity, you are the mother of all invention :D And kudos to you for making it work, very original and good idea. :goodjob: And yup with the smooth wall pvc, you are probably not having nearly the head loss with the original intex hoses and definitely need to hard plumb them both.

Now that your done with that though... trust me on this one, keep an eye on your local craigslist for used complete pump/filter above ground setups. You definitely won't regret the extra pump and filter capabilities, and lots of times they can be had for a song - and the equipment is usually fairly new and in excellent condition. :mrgreen:

So.... The return hard plumbed works great. Then turned my attention to the suction side. Got it all plumbed, connected. Took caps off let the water into the lines. No leaks. All is good. Then turned on the pump. Wow! Great pressure! Then, bubbles started coming out in the return. Then the pressure was reduced. Occasionally the pump loses prime. There's air getting in. I tefloned the threaded connections. Good, strong PVC cement on the glued connections. Silicon sealed all the connections. Still, air getting in somewhere. Thinking of going back to the hose for the inlet.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Getting a 'real' pool pump is out of the question. Wife won't let me!

Recap:
15X42 easy set metal frame pool
633 Intex pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.