high CYA?

May 22, 2009
Columbia, SC
Last night's numbers (Saturday was about the same)

PH 7.8
FC 3.0
CC 0.5
TC 3.5
TA 80
CYA 200 <--- ?!?!

I almost overflowed the CYA tube. I was worried I had messed up the test last Saturday when I saw CYA at over 200 (past the line) but it came out the same yesterday. I am pretty sure this should be lower with the amount of rain water i have drained off since i added CYA last summer.

We've had a lot of rain so I am having to drain off some of the water and add 6% bleach (added 183oz jug on Tuesday evening because I was less than 1 )c: )

When you say you almost overflowed the tube, it makes me think you are having some trouble with the test. First, the test cannot accurately measure over 100 ppm. And with 100 ppm, the black dot would disappear with very little solution in the tube. Basically, the more water you have to put in the tube to may the black dot disappear, the LOWER your CYA is. From what you write, I'm thinking your CYA is actually 0 or very close to it.

See this link for more information.

After you read that, try the CYA test again and report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.