Hose busting

Jun 18, 2010
I have a 15" round aboveground with a Swimpro Voyager filter and Hayward pump.

When I started up the pump this year, the hose going from our Aqua Smarte ( I know, I know, I am working on converting)
to the return was shooting water upward into the sky like a fire hydrant. After turning off the pump, we found cuts/holes in
the hose. We rigged the hose to work for awhile, and then we had to clean out our filter cartridge.

When starting the pump up after cleaning the cartridge, the hose busted again. I opened the
air relief valve until a steady ( it was shooting out) stream of water is coming out of the valve, but I am worried that
I am not allowing enough air to escape before closing the valve, causing the hose to bust.
Is there something on the pressure gauge to indicate when all of the air is out? How can you tell?

Also, is it ok to close the valve (after the air is out) while the
pump is running? Or do you turn off the pump, close the valve and start it back up?
Got a new hose today and don't want to turn on the pump until I am sure about this.
Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

Welcome to TFP!

The old hose is defective or worn out and should be replaced. Releasing air, or not, would not have caused the hose to fail.

You can close the air relief valve once water starts coming out, leaving the pump on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.