No Free Chlorine, pool is cloudy...high phosphates

Update....I am spending a fortune on Chlorine. (I am also reordering chemicals to replace the TF100 kit items because of the amount of testing I am now doing) I think I am about 3 weeks into this shocking process. The pool is crystal clear, but the FC's, as you all know, is the problem I am attacking at the moment. I know I have other probelms such as "sky high" saline. Remember I have a SWG.

The saline level in the pool has risen to 4.2, WOW. I have the Jandy SWG set at 0% but the "failure" light is on constantly and the thing is beeping....wanting me to get the saline DOWN! I am draining some water from the pool today....didn't want to do this but I do not see any other way.

I got the FC's to 39 the other night but then ran out of testing chemicals and had to wait to test again. Lost a day where I could not test, so when I started again, I was back at FC 16.
Last night I got the FC to 31 before I went to bed CC 1
This morning FC 23.5 and CC less than 1
Very sunny day today. I added 1.5 gal of chlorine this morning. I know the sun will eat up some of the FC's. Do I just keep adding chlorine hourly to keep at 31?

Hang in there Tenentwick, you are making progress. Listen to these kind, knowlegeable folks. They will get you on the path to clear, CLEAN water and help you stay there. I live in Struthers and have experienced the same weather conditions etc as you and after using the TFP way of pool maintenance, my pool has never been cleaner and more sparkling. DON'T GIVE UP. Pretty soon your chlorine use will be minimal and your pool will be the envy of the neighborhood. We're pulling for you!

I am going to reply to your question via PM. Check under the logo at the top of the page and you should see a number. That means you have a message waiting. Glad the pool was great. There is one where I am at, but I am not in it as I don't know what's IN IT. I am spoiled with a/c and with TFP.

update: My pool is nice and clear. I am having a difficult time, I think, in getting a good CYA. Is there a better way to check other than what the TF100 kit recommends, this seem so subjective?
I think I successfully shocked the pool. Now I am looking for regular readings. I thought I had a CYA of 80 but now I think it might be 100.
My FC's this morning are 6 and my CC is .5, and I have turned on my SWG to 75%.
I have been draining the pool a couple of inches per day for the last several days to get the saline level down. It is now at 3.5 which is at the top of the 3-3.5 range that Jandy recommends. I thought the CYA would also come down but it doesn't look that way.
Any overall assessment from any of my fans out there?

For the CYA test, try to read it outside with the sun at your back, holding the tube at waist level. You can pour the solution back into the mixing bottle and re-do the test several times to see if you are getting close to the same result each time. Another pair of eyes can also confirm the result. Yes it is subjective, but it is far more accurate than test strips!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I still need help:
I thought we had a successful shock last weekend. After a couple of very sunny days, is appeared that the FC's settled from the shock level (FC 38) to about FC 6 and CC at .5, however after 5 days now my FC's are 3. We started a boost to our Jandy system this morning. Hope it will work!
I am thinking....our saline levels were way too high at 4.2 and our CYA was, I think 100 (may have been 110...not quite sure as we are still trying to get a handle on reading this from the TF100 kit). So, we started draining the pool early last weekend and, at the same time, added water to keep the water at a satisfactory level so the pumps would work. The Saline is now at an acceptable 3.4 and, I think the CYA is still around 100.
The possible problem is we live in the country and the water we are adding is well water with very high iron, and who knows what else.
Could the metals in the well water somehow affect the ability of the water to hold FC's?

No, metals would not affect the FC demand. I would suspect something with the unit itself, if your CYA is that high and you have it set to 75% or more it shouldn't be having trouble keeping up. When was the last time you did the overnight loss test?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.