Stuck Union & Low Suction

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I just discovered this forum. I did a search, but did not find an answer to my question and hope you can give me some ideas. It all started when I installed an ez-vac (Kreepy Krawley for Above Ground Pool) and discovered I do not have enough suction. I spoke to my pool guy and he said he thought the 1 HP motor on my Waterway pump was more than sufficient. He suggested I reach in through the pump basket and make sure none of the impellers were clogged or broken. My hand is not long enough. There is a split nut union in between the pump basket and the pump. I tried to remove it to gain access to the impellers, but it is stuck. It will not turn even with a strap wrench. I removed the two stainless steel screws that seem to hold the two parts of the union together and the two sides do not separate. Since all of this is plastic and I have never worked with "unions" I have been reluctant to get too forceful. Here are my questions?

1. Do you agree that the 1HP motor on a Waterway pump should provide enough vacuum to run a vacuum side cleaner?

2. Could the impellers be clogged or broken and the pump still function enough to run water through the filter, but not enough to run the cleaner?

3. What is the best way to check the impellers?

4. How do I remove the stuck union?

I will sure appreciate any and all suggestions and insights.

1- yes it should be enough, perhaps throttling the skimmer valves to increase suction at the cleaner would help.

2-yes , its possible.

3- The best way is to open the pump up and inspect the impeller and pump housing. The easiest way is just like he described.

4- Try tapping lightly on the piping at the union , wd-40 might help as well. Make sure the pump or strainer has some room to move apart ( not bolted down and has some flex in the piping )

Thanks coloeb. I got if off. Sprayed with a little PB and then a light tap on a screwdriver and it broke loose. Thanks. I found a broken ring of plastic inside. Not sure if this is part of the pump or trash that somehow got in there. The plastic ring is white plastic. There is an intact white plastic conical shaped ring inside the pump. When I look at Waterway pump diagrams I see the conical piece, but I do not see any other ring or gasket (other than the union gasket which I have). Do you think this broken ring is just trash or is it a part that needs to be replaced?

Here are some pictures. The more I look at it in better light I think the broken ring may be the remains of part of the pump. Perhaps the wear sleeve?

[attachment=2:npoleuxa]Plastic ring in pump.jpg[/attachment:npoleuxa]

[attachment=1:npoleuxa]Inside Pool Pump 1 web.jpg[/attachment:npoleuxa]

[attachment=0:npoleuxa]Inside Pool Pump 2 web.jpg[/attachment:npoleuxa]

What do you think. Is the plastic ring trash or the wear sleeve, or another part?

Attachments

• Plastic ring in pump.jpg
    Plastic ring in pump.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Inside Pool Pump 1 web.jpg
    Inside Pool Pump 1 web.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Inside Pool Pump 2 web.jpg
    Inside Pool Pump 2 web.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 59
As a final follow up this is what I found. The WaterWay pump is the hi -flo model and it has a wear sleeve that goes inside. The white plastic was all that was left and so I replaced it. Everything seems to be find now and the suction is much greater. I am amazed that just a little bit of plastic would cut the suction that much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.