Leak detection in a Return Line

Jun 17, 2010
Hi -

I have an 50+ year old pool which for it's age is in good shape except for a leaking return line from the shallow end skimmer. The pool is somewhat unique - kidney shape, painted concrete, copper piping, bronze return jets - so I sometimes need unique fixes.

How do you find where the leak is along the return line?

Can it be fixed without digging up the deck and yard?

If I dig, would a PVC patch work? using rubber gaskets & stainless steel tightening bands?

To test for the leak , plug the skimmer and pressure test from the pump deck. Have a guage installed so you can tell if pressure drops. They make a pvc coupling with a rubber compression seal just for this type of repair. Hopefully you dont have some oddball size.

Hi -

I confident that I have a leak based on the following: I'll lose 2 -3 inches of water over night when this skimmer is the only one open - I'll plug the other for test. Plus, when this skimmer is running I'll get air into the system.

My question is how do you determine where the leak is? The return line could be at least 50ft long. Also, is there anyway to fix the leak by lining the pipe from the inside? much like the do with sewer pipes?

I had a similar issue (with a much newer pool) and ended up using a leak detection service. They used an underwater microphone and were able to locate the leak to within about an inch. It was actually very impressive. If you go that route, be sure to have them check out the entire pool. Multiple leaks are common on older pools. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.