Patching and repairing concrete for new liner

Kulwa

Jun 17, 2010
I have some defects in the concrete floor of my pool that I need to resolve before putting in the new liner. I'd put them in these categories.

Large dips (2 inches)
Cracks
Mold
Loose concrete (thin top layer only)
Three 1 inch holes in deep end constantly bubbling water into the pool

I have the vinyl patching cement and sidewalk cement (without rocks). I guess I've always thought that if you are patching with cement it is important to give the new concrete some way to grip the old concrete. In this case, however, I don't think the new concrete will have anywhere to go (I've read that some people use sand) so perhaps it doesn't matter. Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59965550@N00/sets/72157624174137121/

Welcome to TFP!!

Thank you for the pics! :goodjob:

You definitely wan to patch and fill the voids and rough areas! I prefer vermiculite to sand and cement or concrete - it's softer on the liner and water can pass through it. But, you already have a 'crete' floor, so the patch doesn't really make much difference.

Get a ~94 lb bag of Portland cement (type I or II) and a few buckets of mason's sand. Mix the cement and sand at a ratio of 2 parts cement to 1 part sand and mix it a little on the wet side, so that it feathers in better. You may need more material than I suggested, but let's start slow, rather than waste $ :wink:

Allow the patches to set for at least 12 hours, then sweep the floor at least twice before installing the new liner!

If you need any tips on properly installing a liner, simply ask and I'll reply (Ive installed well over 1000 liners :wink: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.