Cannot get pool clear again.... Please help!!!

Jun 17, 2010
Hello I am having a heck of of time with my pool. I have a IG 22,000 gallon pool with a Sand filter and a vinyl liner. I do not have current numbers on the pool. when I have them tested on Monday I was told everything was good except my chlorine was low. I will try and get number to post tonight. I opened my pool over a month ago and everything in the pool was fine all chemicals and color up until this past Saturday. I have a solar cover and took that off and the pool was a very very dark green. You cannot see more than a inch into the pool. I took a water sample to the pool store and had it tested. All my chemicals were down now. I added 10 pounds of PH and 3 bags of shock as instructed. Next day the same color. Took another sample to store and they gave me another 8 pounds of PH and 5 pounds of Alkalinity and 3 more bags of shock. The next day same color and went back to pool store and was told to put in 8 pounds of shock and keep running the filter like I had been. Next morning no change. Now I was told to put in 10 Gallons of liquid chlorine and a bottom of black algae killer. I also brushed down the pool. This morning still exactly the same. Anyone have any ideas??? This has already cost me $200 and I really don't want to keep throwing money and chemicals at this thing with no change.

Re: Cannot get pool clear again.

Welcome to TFP.

Start by reading Pool School (see my sig) especially how to shock your pool.

Post the stats of your pool and the results you got from the pool store.

Order yourself a good test kit so you'll know what's going on and what you need to do to correct it.

Welcome to TFP.

Bama is right. You're best information is in Pool School and especially How to Shock Your Pool. A good test kit (Taylor K-2006 or TF-Test Kits TF-100) will allow you to provide the numbers we need to give you advice as you go through this process. While you're waiting for the kit, if you can post a set of number from the pool store (DON'T buy anything), include:

FC - Free Chlorine
CC- Combined Chlorine
pH - "acidity" of water
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium
CYA - Stabilizer

It's going to be a process to get your pool clear and then a little daily maintenance to keep it that way. Once we have more information, we can let you know what your shock level is and you'll want to use liquid chlorine (AKA bleach) to get there and keep it there until your pool is clear.

There are lots of people here to help.

The main problem you have is the once a day testing and dosing. You can go through an amazing amount of chlorine in an hour, so you really need to check the chlorine hourly for the first few hours, and then every 4 hours or so for the next day, then every 8 hours until the green is gone. You'll probably be adding chlorine at every single test.

The problem with the once daily routine is that the algae consumes all the chlorine, then starts growing again. You hit it with more chlorine, and the same thing happens. You need to knock it down and then step on its throat! That's what the frequent testing and adding does.

Two good articles about clearing algae: Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

and here is one about Shocking Your Pool

You really need to be able to test your own water to do this without spending a fortune.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.