Frederick County, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
OK, so I need to bump my CH up, and I am currently sitting at 110 or so.

Pool calculator shows that I need 410 oz (25.62 lbs) of calcium chloride to get to 250.

I have a bag of Dowflake Calcium Chloride (77-80%) in the garage that I used to melt ice in the driveway.

Is this OK to use, and does it matter if it is a bit old (say a couple of years or so)?

To put it in, just dump like I add salt, or is there a different method?

Dowflake is just fine. It is essentially pure calcium chloride dihydrate. Calcium chloride stores very well, it should be fine even after many years.

The best way to add it is to distribute across the surface of the deep end and then brush the pool or run the pool cleaner. You can also pre-dissolve and pour that in front of a return jet with the pump running. If you do pre-dissolve, be aware that calcium chloride gets very hot when it is dissolved, so watch out and don't get burned.

Thanks Jason.

I think I will go the dissolve and pour route at first. I am sure when I get more comfortable dumping "ice melt" into my pool, I will be less cautious. :eek:)

I am sure I will get lots of looks from people when I tell them I use ice melt and bleach to keep the pool so sparkly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.