How do I ADD the (CYA) Stabilizer.

Vicmon

Jul 22, 2007
Ok here I go again . I keep reading about the CYA and how people tend to use a sock ,tie it to the latter or set it up near the return. I wasn't sure before reading these posts so I just dumped about 1lb in front of the return . what a mistake that was it just sat on the bottom of the pool for a couple of days I hope it didn't do any damage. Well I ran to the local pool store asked where should i put the CYA Stabilizer he said I should just dump it in the skimmer. I hope that was good advice I don't hear anyone say that here. when I did I think it slowed the clearing of the water. What is the normal or Recommended run time for a pump.

As you discovered CYA takes about a week to dissolve. If you dump it in the skimmer be sure to NOT clean your filter for a week since it collects in the filter. If you do clean it you will just wash the CYA away. A lot of people like to put it in a sock and hang it in the return because it seems to disappear fast. They assume it's dissolved but I believe that a portion of it just passes through and ends up in the filter anyway since CYA levels really don't stabilized until several days after you add it.
I just dump it in the skimmer when I need to add some.

How long you run your pump depends on the relative size of the pump to the size of the pool. For a typical pool that might be eight to twelve hours. What really matters is how the water looks. Try some run time towards the high end of the range and see how you water looks, then try reducing it for several days and see if you water looks worse.

I have to take a look at the HP of the pump ,but the pool is a AQUA LEADER 10.4k Gals. sand filter and I have a Natures 2 filter but there is no filter cartridge in it. When I first started looking for help someone told me I really didn't need the Natures2 filter because the Sand filter is going to be enough. I do know the I was running the pump 5 hrs in the AM and then 3 hours in the evening . Since this heat wave I have been running the pump from 9 am till 9 pm I hope thats enough time. Oh and with the brown stuff accumilating on the bottom I vacuumed to waste and it seemed to work some well see if leaving the pump running longer I will get better results. The water is clearing up fine. Thanks Folks.

Best to leave the Nature2 cartridge out. The Nature2 system adds copper to the water which is an unessessary expense and tends to cause problems eventually. You will be just fine with just the sand filter and chlorine.

Well as expected running the pump longer on hot days is better. I just checked the pool the water was getting clearer but when I vacuumed the brown stuff from the middle it made the water cloudy i can still see the bottom but with difficulty. I am going to add a gallon and a half of bleach over now and run the pump 24/7 to see if that clears it up for tomorrow . Keeping my fingers crossed ,I am going to have company and if the weather is good they want to go in the POOL. Thanks again for your help everyone.

I guess I should go slower . A lesson learned . Well i was looking at the size of the pump its Hayward 1.5 HP , sand filter and 10.4k gals. I'm going on vaca end of next week for a month what should I put in the pool until i get back I don't have a cover .I think I might have to wait until next spring . maybe I should look at the posts on closing the pool? By next pool season I should at least know where to start. Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.