Plaster Repair - Need Advise

Jun 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hi all... I am a new pool owner... see signature. Clueless.
Bought a new house with a big fancy pool... two waterfalls, etc.... only problem is don't know much about pools.
I have some incompetent people maintaining the pool for 50$/month... but that is another story... I am still looking up what CYA stands for (LOL). Anyway....

First question... I had the pool drained a bit below the carribean bench a few weeks ago to have rope anchors installed (so my 2y/o knows not to walk off the edge... it works great). I think during that time (pool was only drained for 14 hours), the plaster got chipped on the bench with rocks (I didn't know the stuff was so sensitive).

See photo. The pool is a dark color plaster that looks 'rough' to match the motif of the yard. Those black dots are plaster that is coming off (If I agitate it with my fingernail, it makes them bigger and it is like sand/rock in my hands). I want to repair these so they don't get bigger. These were not there when I bought the house/pool 4 months ago. The pool is only 5-6 years old (so an entire plaster job is out of the question).

Any advice?

I spoke to one guy who said there is a patch they can put on those without draining the pool. It is an underwater patch that only comes in white. He said it is a band-aid solution (which I am fine with... if it buys me several years... doesn't Plaster only last 8-10 years?).

Thanks much.

Attachments

• Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 380
Without knowing what the pool was finished with (plaster-wise), how long it lasts is anyone's guess.

The chips are likely to be more from delamination. A rock would need to be pretty big to have done that damage.

Delamination is the separation of two layers that were bonded, forming a blister. Stepping on the blister pops it. There are plenty of reasons for it to occur.

What is important is that the remaining separated plaster be removed from the edges of the chipped out areas. This will result in a larger patch being needed.

While Pool Patch only comes in white, it's very much like hydraulic cement, which is a deep gray and a closer match to what you have. Both are mixed and applied in exactly the same manner.

Don't be surprised if there are more areas that pop up over time. The pool may have had construction issues that caused the delamination or it might just have been a poorly executed application of plaster.

CYA is cyanuric acid. It helps to keep the free chlorine in the water by reducing the effects of the sun's UV rays.

Scott

Thanks Scott! Are you visiting California anytime soon... can you come fix it?
LOL.

Two questions.
1. Should I chip away at these until they don't readily chip anymore? Is that what you meant when you said: remaining separated plaster be removed from the edges of the chipped out areas

2. So there are two different options? Pool Patch or Hydraulic cement?
If so, which do you recommend? The guy said he can add some color to the pool patch to help it not be obviously white. Not sure how he would do that.

I still think this was damaged by rocks... my 2y/o was throwing stuff in the pool of course when it was drained and I was walking around all over the plaster because I was curious..... like I said, didn't realize Plaster is sensitive without water. These were not there 4 months ago and the pool is 5y/o (so I guess I am thinking, why would they have not blistered and popped before?).

How long would these patches last do you think?

BTW, sorry for taking your time... but how do you apply them? Do you mix the stuff up, and try to trowel it quick under water??? About about excess?

Appreciate your input.

jason.

If the chipped areas edges are lifted from the gunite surface, yes, removing the lifted area carefully with a cold chisel and hammer is needed or water will cause additional delaminating, if the underlying weakness was due to delamination. If they are thrown rock induce only, no delamination will be evident at the edges.

I think either will work but I would want to know what the colorant is that he is suggesting first.

As to why it wasn't discovered before, the plaster held itself together. It may have been blistered and not popped yet if the blisters were small, if they were

The patches will last until they are chipped away in most cases, when properly applied.

It's mixed in small batches. As it starts to stiffen and become thick and paste like, it is troweled or pressed in place with the heal of one's hand or foot. Within a few hours, it's fully hardened.

Scott

Jason-That appears to be a very poorly maintained pool (I know you inherited it, so I am not blaming you!) from the picture. Lots of scale build up, looks like copper staining, and now delaminating plaster. Good thing you found the 'page!

You are not going to stop that, and your son is not doing it with rocks (unless they are boulders :shock: ). That is nothing more than plaster failing. Patches will be patches, and will buy you some time, but they will be obvious, and there is a good chance more will be needed.

Where are you in California? If you are close, I'd be happy to come take a look. In the meantime, stay on the 'page and learn how to take care of your pool so that this doesn't happen again!

Thanks Scott and Bruce.
Scott... to be clear... you don't need to drain the pool to apply these patches right?

Bruce... unfortunately I am in northern cal... sacramento. Can you recommend anyone up this way for a second opinion? I would appreiciate it.

At some point, in several years I will likely have the pool resurfaced and maybe consider something other than plaster (? Peble, doesn't that last forever? Like I said, I am learning)..... but seeing how I just spent a LOAD of money to buy this place and all the stuff that goes with getting a new place... don't want to spend the money now.

Thanks again.
jason.

Try Adams Pool Plastering (tell Tony that Bruce and Nichole in San Diego told you to call!). He is also the PebbleTec applicator in that area, if you some day go that route. I wouldn't say it lasts forever, but to my knowledge no one has ever had to re-do a P-Tec pool (I have been involved in several where people bought the home and didn't like P-Tec color and we re-Pebbled with a different color! Really difficult to remove!).

Have a great weekend in your pool :cheers:

Tigervision said:
Any advice?

I spoke to one guy who said there is a patch they can put on those without draining the pool. It is an underwater patch that only comes in white. He said it is a band-aid solution (which I am fine with... if it buys me several years... doesn't Plaster only last 8-10 years?).

Thanks much.

Here's a link to some videos that may help you make this a DIY project: http://www.e-zpatch.com/video_home.htm

I can't vouch for any of their products, except for E-Z Patch® 22 Tile & Grout Repair. I've never done any plastering or tile & grout work, so I was looking for a simple way to reset a few tiles that had fallen out of my tile band. I found their web site, watched the videos, ordered the product, and it worked like a charm. Tiles are back in place (still holding after a year), wife is happy, I'm satisfied.

YMMV. Good luck.

Hank

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.