What does "crystal clear" look like at night with a light?

May 28, 2010
I went through the shock process (thanks to this forum and all the people helping!) and the results were very good. reached less than 1ppm drop over night and went from cloudy to clear. The TF test kits shows everything right in line now.

The question I have is how clear can I expect my water to be? In the daylight it looks pretty good but at night with the light shining through it i still notice a slight haze. Is this a limitation of my cartridge filter? It does run a lot, 6-8 hrs per day for a 7000g AGP with very little use. Anyone have any pictures of their water at night by their light?

Thanks.

I have pictures of my 16,000 gallon pool that uses an oversized cartridge filter here and here. The pool is 6 feet deep in the deep end and the photo is looking through the water at an angle to the floor drains and pool cleaner. You should be able to get it quite clear. At night, you might see some very small particles near the light -- a DE filter would show less than a cartridge while a sand filter (without added DE) would show the most.

We have a sand filter and the water looks very clear both day and at night with the light on. As Richard says, at night you can see small particles floating by the light a few inches from it but it's not cloudy.

Bama Rambler said:
We have a sand filter and the water looks very clear both day and at night with the light on. As Richard says, at night you can see small particles floating by the light a few inches from it but it's not cloudy.

Yup me to, clear both day and night but slight particles right by the light.

This isn't right by the light but is in about 3 feet of water. You can see the trowel marks in the pebblesheen where the builders didn't get the surface perfectly smooth. When the water is this clear, the whole pool appears very shallow. I'll try to take a picture by the light and post it. Normally, I see a few particles floating by the light. You might describe it as a very faint haze.

Attachments

• Pool Bottom.jpg
    Pool Bottom.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 492
Here is a photo looking down in the deep end at the pool light where you can see some small particles in the light beam. The yellow-greenish cast to the water is from the light -- it looks light blue during the day. The focus is set to show the particles more clearly but makes the pool bottom somewhat out of focus.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/PoolLight.jpg

Here is a photo looking at one of the two main drains in the deep end. The water is 6 feet deep and I'm at least 8 feet from the drain due to being above the water and at an angle. In person, it looks even clearer than the picture so the water itself is very clear in spite of the small particles seen in the light (above). (The small dark smudge on the drain is cat hair -- I had just used the FURminator on the cats and it was a windy day...

https://www.troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/PoolDrain.jpg

Here are a few more night shots to help you compare. The pump was running for about 4 hours tonight before I took the pics, Also, no dogs in the pool today and pretty much no wind which help out a ALOT! The Pebble finish hides alot of particles too.

nightlight001.jpg

nightlight002.jpg

nightlight010.jpg

nightlight005.jpg

nightlight006.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.