New AGP pool, new TF-100, New to BBB

Titus

Jun 3, 2010
Nevada, TX
Our 15k gallon AGP will be filled in the next few days. I got my TF-100 in the mail today, so I went ahead and tested the fill water to give myself a day 1 plan. This is what I got:

FC- .5
CC- 2
TC- 2.5
pH- 7.8
T/A- 130
CH- 220
CYA- 0

My plan to start off:
-Add 80 oz of Stabilizer
-Shock with 2 gallons of 6% bleach night one
- add about a gallon of bleach a night from night 2 until CYA comes up

Does that sound reasonable? Should I try to lower T/A? Anything else I should try to adjust?

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Adjust your PH down to 7.4, with Muratic acid. 80 oz of CYA will raise you level to 40ppm, are you sure it's a 15k gal pool? 40ppm is not that high, but if you are off, you could overshoot. 30-40ppm is a good cya target for manually dosed chlorine pools.

After you add the CYA, add enough bleach to get you to 5-6ppmFC (about 1.5 gals of 6% bleach) and makes sure the pump is running. After the water has circulated for 30 mins...test FC and CC to see if you need to bring it up to shock...if it is fresh fill, shocking is rarely necessary if you add chlorine to the water shortly after filling.

One thing: It's nice to plan a fill based on the chemistry of your fill water.

But make sure that you execute your start up based on tests of the actual pool once filled.

waskydiver said:
One thing: It's nice to plan a fill based on the chemistry of your fill water.

But make sure that you execute your start up based on tests of the actual pool once filled.

Pool is full and the filter is running now, so I took your advice and retested before starting...

FC- .5
CC- 1
TC- 1.5
pH- 7.8
T/A- 130
CH- 200
CYA- 0

Melt In The Sun said:
I wouldn't bother lowering TA unless you find that your pH rises quickly. I'd lower pH to about 7.5. Sounds like a good plan to me!
dmanb2b said:
Welcome to TFP :wave:

Adjust your PH down to 7.4, with Muratic acid. 80 oz of CYA will raise you level to 40ppm, are you sure it's a 15k gal pool? 40ppm is not that high, but if you are off, you could overshoot. 30-40ppm is a good cya target for manually dosed chlorine pools.

After you add the CYA, add enough bleach to get you to 5-6ppmFC (about 1.5 gals of 6% bleach) and makes sure the pump is running. After the water has circulated for 30 mins...test FC and CC to see if you need to bring it up to shock...if it is fresh fill, shocking is rarely necessary if you add chlorine to the water shortly after filling.
OK... I didn't get a chance to pick up any Muratic acid yet, but I will pick some up and add it in the morning. I only had 64 oz of CYA on hand, which sounds like a better first dose than 80 anyway from what you are saying. I put it in a old nylon of the wife's and hung it in front of the return. Pump will stay on full time until it all dissolves. I added about 3/4 of a gallon of bleach for tonight, but I am going to wait a day to let the CYA start dissolving a little before adding more. I figure tomorrow night I will test the FC, add some bleach, wait 30 minutes, and repeat. It is too late to try that tonight.

Thanks for all the help guys... this forum rocks!

Titus said:
OK... I didn't get a chance to pick up any Muratic acid yet, but I will pick some up and add it in the morning. I only had 64 oz of CYA on hand, which sounds like a better first dose than 80 anyway from what you are saying. I put it in a old nylon of the wife's and hung it in front of the return. Pump will stay on full time until it all dissolves. I added about 3/4 of a gallon of bleach for tonight, but I am going to wait a day to let the CYA start dissolving a little before adding more. I figure tomorrow night I will test the FC, add some bleach, wait 30 minutes, and repeat. It is too late to try that tonight.

Thanks for all the help guys... this forum rocks!
If it's fresh fill water, you don't need to keep retesting - you're not shocking the pool. Check pH tomorrow, calculate acid, and add it. Let it circulate a while, an hour at least, then recheck it and the FC. Add enough to chlorine to keep above recommended minimum, grit your teeth, and jump in that chilly water!

There's only two reasons to constantly test FC right now, for you: To get a better handle on the exact volume of your pool; and it's fun to play with the test kit. :mrgreen:

Richard320 said:
If it's fresh fill water, you don't need to keep retesting - you're not shocking the pool. Check pH tomorrow, calculate acid, and add it. Let it circulate a while, an hour at least, then recheck it and the FC. Add enough to chlorine to keep above recommended minimum, grit your teeth, and jump in that chilly water!

There's only two reasons to constantly test FC right now, for you: To get a better handle on the exact volume of your pool; and it's fun to play with the test kit. :mrgreen:
Thanks Richard.. I just tested everything for the 4rd time in less than 24 hrs. I guess it isn't necessary, but it is a little fun, and it is good practice. So here is where I am at:

Around 8am this morning I re-tested pH and T/A (still at 7.8 and 130) so I added 15 oz of acid. I then re-tested an hour later and it was 7.4 and 110. Perfection! The FC was all gone by this time so I added 3/4 a gallon of bleach. by 9:30 we were swimming!

At 4:30 this afternoon, I re-tested everything:

FC- 2
CC- .5
TC- 2.5
pH- 7.4
T/A- 110
CH- 200
CYA- 20
Temp- 84

Not all of the CYA has dissolved yet... looks like at least 1/4 of it is left in the sock. I assume that I need to be patient and let it finish before I can really start trying to figure out how much bleach I will add as my nightly ritual? How much should I add tonight? I am thinking I should add about a gallon, wait 30 minutes and test to see where it is. The pool calculator says that 1 gallon would take me from 2 to 6. If it does, I should be good, right?

Titus said:
Not all of the CYA has dissolved yet... looks like at least 1/4 of it is left in the sock. I assume that I need to be patient and let it finish before I can really start trying to figure out how much bleach I will add as my nightly ritual? How much should I add tonight? I am thinking I should add about a gallon, wait 30 minutes and test to see where it is. The pool calculator says that 1 gallon would take me from 2 to 6. If it does, I should be good, right?
Don't bother testing CYA again for a week. Just assume it's in there and add chlorine to keep it above the minimum FC level for that CYA level.

You'll get a feel for pool volume by using the calculator and carefully adding stuff. If you keep overshooting, your pool is smaller than you think. If you keep coming up short, it's bigger than you think. Once the CYA is dissolved completely, you'll probably lose about 2 ppm FC/day. It varies with sunlight, swimmer load, and amount of debris that ends up in there. You'll know in a couple weeks how much you're adding every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.