How many lights is too much?

G

Hi,

We are in the process of bidding on a pool and the design we like included 3 lights at 500 watts each. I am concerned about the wattage and the designer suggested going with 5 lights at 100watts each (not sure of the rationale). Is 5 lights too much for a 25'x45' pool?
If not, how should they be placed? All facing one side facing away from the house? I may want to go with LEDs as an alternative for energy efficiency. Any thoughts on this?

TIA
Ron

Thanks Kurt,

My only fear was the blinding effect five lights could have. I'll have to scutinize the placement, which seems to be important based on the comments here.

ron

LED's

Just to give you an idea, LED lights are relatively bright, but only in the typical 25 degree focal beam, outside of that, they are relatively dim, meaning the light should not blind you outside of the pool. Halogens likely have a wider beam.
I have yet to see a backyard pool with 5 lights in it, even 3 seems like a lot.
I'd recommend going with LED lights for two reasons - you'll never change the bulbs and your electrical bill will never show they're being used.

I agree, having 5 lights seems to be a maintence nightmare down the road. Also you have 2 more areas of potential leakage. I would opt for 3 LED's for the same reasons as stated. They are more expensive up front, but last a lot longer and use a lot less energy. And you do have the option of going with color changing LED's.

My guess is that your designer is either trying to fill all the pool with light and that that is made difficult by the shape of the pool or that he/she thinks more, but smaller, lights are more aesthetically pleasing. Is the pool a complex, difficult-to-light shape? Do you like the idea of more subtle lighting?

There are some potential maintenance issues, but LED lights, properly installed, should be trouble free for a long time.

The pool is a hybrid of sorts with one hard corner and 3 semi circles. Not terribly hard to light, I think the thought process was whether or not there will be enough light with the reduced wattage. I think 3 LEDs (maybe color) will work and I do enjoy subtle lighting. Although, color and subtle seem to be oxymoronic :-D . Thanks for the thoughts on the potential maintenance issues down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.