Converting - pool calc problems...

I just saw your post so went back and saw how to get the pool gallon amount. I read some other posts and I'm getting so confused. I thought I have to get it up to 15ppm thenI read someones post that said FC is at 4.5 and tht was good. HUH? I have to read more!

mudpie13 said:
I just saw your post so went back and saw how to get the pool gallon amount. I read some other posts and I'm getting so confused. I thought I have to get it up to 15ppm thenI read someones post that said FC is at 4.5 and tht was good. HUH? I have to read more!

Have a look at my thread, Positronic, as I'm on day 13 of the conversion and am almost done. It should help give you an idea of how it'll go. Basically you have to keep the FC at 15ppm to get rid of the baquacil until FC drops only 1ppm or less overnight (test just before dark and at dawn). For the first few days test FC and use the pool calculator as often as every hour or two if you can (helps speed up the conversion process) and add bleach to keep FC at 15ppm.

I did get a good test kit that was recommended. Last night at 11:30, it tested at FC 17. This morning at 8:30, FC was 13, Added the recomended amount of bleach. Waited until 11:44, bact at 1.5.

Now, I'm wondering if I should add bleach at all during the day when the sun just eats it up anyway. If I just add the bleach at night (just did that at 8:30) test at 10:30 then again in the morning, should I evenbother adding chlorine then if its gone down?

I will post more test results tomorrow.
And Positronic, I have been reading your posts. You all sound like chemists.....me, not so much.

You are nearing the end of the process, when chlorine is used up by sunlight much more quickly than it is being used up by baquacil. At this stage it is a more efficient use of chlorine to only add chlorine in the evenings.

OK, tested this morning at 6:30, FC 16.5, CC .5, TC 17. Just tested now at 12:10, FC 11, CC 0. It's rainy and cloudy right now. I will add bleach and test again later.
BTW, my pool has been blue and clear for several days now. I just hope I can keep it this way once the conversion is over. Haven't used bleach in probably 8 years or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.