Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Pool

Help
    I have a intex above groud pool that has been cloudy from day 1 thru today or about 2 months
    The water is just now beginning to clear alittle (I can see the third rung on the ladder in the pool)
    Cyanic low and PH high/Bad combo im guessing
    what do I add as far as chemistry goes
    The pool place told me my alkalinity was to high and to add miratic acid/I did,and it lowered the alk level
    but the water is still cloudy/I feel like i am close but cant get there
    Confused
    Dave

2. Back To Top    #2
    You should post a full set of test numbers and tell us what color/shade of cloudiness you are seeing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Agree .. a full set of test numbers is essential, but FWIW, I had to run my Intex pump/filter 24/7 to keep the water clear even when the water was fully balanced.
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    I still have cloudy water, Intex Pool, I kept the pool at shock level for a few days, have kept it at or above 5ppm since, PH has been in range, ALK is 100, CYA is down to 20 because I drained about 1/3 of the water trying to get rid of some of the cloudy water. I have tried leaving the pump going 24/7 washing the filter out several times a day, I have tried letting everything settle and then vacuuming, and I still have cloudy water, but atleast it's sanitary, and the kids do not mind the cloudy, it just drives ME nuts.
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Cloudy Pool

Quote Originally Posted by davidjacka
    Help
    I have a intex above groud pool that has been cloudy from day 1 thru today or about 2 months
    The water is just now beginning to clear alittle (I can see the third rung on the ladder in the pool)
    Cyanic low and PH high/Bad combo im guessing
    what do I add as far as chemistry goes
    The pool place told me my alkalinity was to high and to add miratic acid/I did,and it lowered the alk level
    but the water is still cloudy/I feel like i am close but cant get there
    Confused
    Dave
    Welcome to the forum

To get a clearer picture of just what's going on with your water you really need to post a set of test numbers (FC, CC, Ph, TA, CYA etc.)

Lowering the TA takes more than just adding muriatic acid...let us know when you get the test results

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    David,

To add to what Dan said, Muriatic should be used to lower pH, but not Alk. Alk can only be permanently lowered thru aeration as described in the stickies at the top of the forum index.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Duraleigh, aeration does not lower TA. Muriatic acid lowers TA and pH. Aeration raises the pH back up without raising the TA.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Well I did manage to clear up the water finally. With the Intex pump/filter.

I just started leaving everything off all night every night and running the aqua critter vacuum all day every day and after about 5 days, it seems to be clear.

I think you really wouldn't need the aqua critter if you could just rig up a way where you are sucking the water into the pump from the bottom of the pool instead of having it come in at the top.
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC