New pool store lies!

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well, I had to share this. I went to the pool store for a pump strainer gasket and teflon lube yesterday, and was asked how I chlorinate. SWCG...No, I don't shock weekly...If I did shock, I would use bleach...he then said bleach is bad :blah: so I asked him what I should use and why.

"For a pebble pool, don't use chlor brite (dichlor), use power powder (cal-hypo). The chlor-brite will eat your pebbles." :shock: Eh?

I think, of all the parts of my pool, the pebbles themselves would be the LAST thing that improper chemical usage could destroy!

Yep I was getting a skimmer vac plate adapter in the store last night (incidentally their price was the same as online) and there was a guy there getting his water tested and by the time the lady was done testing it (which they charge $5 to do btw) the man was spending $223 on chemicals that day and was told that he would need another dose of the same amount in a few more days.

No idea what was wrong or what he got but I sure felt bad for him.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry to get my kids from school I would have stuck around and waited for him to come out and tell him about Pool School and TFP but I had to run and I would not have slammed the store folks right there in their store.

Greg

Unfortunately near me there is a pool store that are like the pool nazis....you can't buy a float without them hounding why aren't you buying your chems from them.....it's nerve racking anytime I go in, I need to start wearing disguises I think. Dress as an old feeble lady maybe they will leave me be.

whoozer said:
Unfortunately near me there is a pool store that are like the pool nazis....you can't buy a float without them hounding why aren't you buying your chems from them.....it's nerve racking anytime I go in, I need to start wearing disguises I think. Dress as an old feeble lady maybe they will leave me be.

Wow - and you still shop there?

I went into a pool store the other day and asked if they sold liquid chlorine. The girl behind the counter says "Nope! Don't believe in it..too short of a shelf life. Just mix that (points to the cal-hypo shock stuff) with water and there you go!" ummmmmm....I just walked out.

I love the manager at our Leslie's. He practices BBB method in his pool. He has never, ever tried to push anything on me since we had our first discussion last year. I'm so lucky. I always run in there, grab what I need, which is almost always Fiber Clear, pay and run out. A couple of months ago I made the comment about Pool Stores going out of business if everyone practiced BBB method. His reply was that most people just glaze over when he tries to explain something "different", and only want to be told what to buy and how to use it, no matter what it cost them. The first time I met him, when he first started at the store last year, he really lit up (in a good way) when I started talking chems.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.