Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I know aeration can reduce TA at low pH (7 - 7.2). I reduced mine from 100-90 ppm merely by directing the flow outlets upward. Pool now in balance:

FC = 4
CC = 0
pH = 7.4
CYA = 20
TA = 90
CH = 125 (at last check)

I like the effect of directing the jets upward. It keeps the surface moving, looks/sounds relaxing and helps skimmer effectiveness. Is there any downside to this (e.g., increases Cl usage)?

Aeration doesn't lower TA. What lowers the TA is acid additions. Aeration merely raises the pH once it was lowered by the acid and repeating this process will bring the TA down over time.

The downside to aeration over the long term can be that constant outgassing of CO2 from the bubbling water can cause the pH to continue to climb at a higher rate than normal. This may require more acid to be added to bring pH back down. At some point, you may discover that your TA is too low because of all the acid added over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.