Purex smbw 2036 and backwashing procedure

vwtoys

Aug 20, 2009
I'm trying to figure out the features of this DE filter tank that we have and it's fairly old, 15 years or more? I have the 2036 and the label on it describes a backwash procedure and mentioned about a backwash handle. Well I looked and I don't see anything on the bottom of the filter tank. So I went online to look for it http://www.inyopools.com/owners_manual/ ... s_2000.pdf This PDF on page 4 and 8 mentions the procedure and the parts breakdown. Well I guess mine didn't come with one. On mine the exit lines coming out the bottom of the tank there's a spigot for the return line and a spigot on the dump line, so I'm trying to figure out if the bottom manifold provides backwashing.

here's my dumb question, if I shut off the return and turn on the dump line will it be the same as backwashing? I know it'll dump water but is it backwashing the old DE out as well? Or is it just pumping the water away without backwashing?? :?: :?: (the dump is plumbed into the city drain so I can't see whether it's clean or not)

Take a look at the Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment and search for "main valve" and you will see the two main kinds of main valves, multi-port and push/pull. From your description, you don't have either one of those.

Assuming you don't have a main valve, you need to open up the filter and manually wash the grids off each time. The dump line is not the same as backwashing, it runs the water through forwards. To backwash you need to run the water through the filter backwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.