Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evan almighty takes on Toilet Paper Guy

1. Back To Top    #1

Evan almighty takes on Toilet Paper Guy

Evan vs Toilet Paper Guy.... (sorry, I don't know how else to indicate the person with those initials, without his goggle alert sending him back in here ) and after all, according to his words on his blog, his intention is to cause trouble with any salt systems and he's labeled TFP members as Pro Salt Camp people. huh???? KurtV, prosalt? j/k

And I've been officially designated a lurker to his site. I think I go there just to confirm my thoughts, he's got very few supporters these days, but he does get some people to be more skeptical about salt. This is good, as it will cause builders to consider what materials they are using with salt systems.

Evan (Waterbear to you and me), I agree with your posts there. Way to go man!

You called his site exactly what it is. Glad it didn't come from me, this time.

Sean

ps...don't mention Toilet Paper Guy or his site... we really dont need a rehash of his last visit.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

2. Back To Top    #2
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

I had to wear hip boots to go to that site! It's getting deeper and deeper. If he was so ecologically active, as he would like us to believe then he would NOT be using chlorine at all (but that would destroy his business, wouldn't it). When chlorine is used up, no matter if it comes from trichlor, liquid, gas, whaterer, it forms chloride ions so ANY pool on chloride would add to the salt pollution. The next logical step would be to ban pools altogether. I am surprised no one has thought of that! IF he's smart he's get into bed with the waterwoman (don't want to metion her name either) but he did say that if ionizers were more popular he would have an ionizer blog also. I guess he's just against any technology that he sees as a threat to his business.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I thought this was going to be a movie review .......SHUCKS!!!

Anyway.........guess I'll go you-know-where and do a little snooping to see just what being said over there !
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    The old "because I said so" argument only worked for our parents when we were 6 but it sure doesn't seem to stop those two from demanding that they are right and everyone else is wrong. I think the medical name for that is being in denial....

BTW, not all Wendys are in the snake oil sales business... (I'm in the sugar business so that makes me sweet)
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    I think the medical name for that is being in denial....
    I thought it was called the "Cleopatra Syndrome" (Queen of de Nile!)

6. Back To Top    #6
    lol!!!
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

7. Back To Top    #7
    I don't think it's smart or productive to be so dismissive and disdainful of TPG. He makes some valid points and has forced at least some people to take a critical look at some of the negatives of salt systems. Is he a bit over the top on some of the environmental stuff? In my opinion, yes, but that doesn't mean that his views on that aspect of the debate won't get serious play in some circles that matter; state and especially local governments are notoriously susceptible to junk science.

Bottom line for me is that smart, passionate people (and TPG clearly is both) should be taken seriously. I wish he'd come back to the forum, especially if he could do so with a bit less vitriol; I think he has a lot of knowledge to offer.

8. Back To Top    #8
    I for one am glad he is gone. I appreciate some of his points and read his site now and then to see if he is saying anything new, but I would rather not have posts in the misleading and combative style that he is so fond of using. There are times and places for a combative approach but this forum is not one of them.

I am glad he brings up issues he has problems with and all he has done to raise awareness of the down side to SWGs. But this forum is a place for sharing ideas in a more polite and constructive way. Since he has shown no interest in being polite or constructive, I am happy he is pushing his ideas elsewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    His writing in his blog is a prime example of 'yellow journalism'. I happen to have a degree in Journalism from the University of Florida so I can spot it when I see it. IMHO, yellow journalism is NEVER productive.

EDIT: just google 'yellow journalism' if you don't know what it is!

10. Back To Top    #10
    I also, like Kurt, appreciate his passion for what he thinks is right, but I also agree with Jason in that I don't think his style is a match for this particular venue. I just don't think he can control himself. I mean he calls Sean (poolsean) LEX LUTHOR! .......Then again, maybe he's just talking about Sean's bald head and that he "resembles" LEX LUTHOR
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11
    I think his style is well suited for a blog where you can rant and rave and have readers who appreciate it, but in a forum you have to be able to have a discussion - listen to opposing views, etc.

What was funny to me was how quickly we fell out of favor on his wall of fame or whatever he called it . He liked getting traffic from TFP, but didn't want his readers heading this way I guess.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

12. Back To Top    #12

Kurt,
    I couldn't agree with you more and yes, he has made me aware of some salt related issues too. I don't dismiss his experience or knowledge, but he has taken it over the top. But it is his site and he can say whatever he wants to.
    Now, Lex Luthor. Man oh Man. I hope I don't have to live up to that.

Now Dave, about that move review comment, can you picture a Super Waterbear wrapped in Toilet Paper and his bulging bicepts ripping the Toilet Paper to shreds? 8)

13. Back To Top    #13
    That's exactly what was in my mind !
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    I think his style is well suited for a blog where you can rant and rave and have readers who appreciate it, but in a forum you have to be able to have a discussion - listen to opposing views, etc.

What was funny to me was how quickly we fell out of favor on his wall of fame or whatever he called it . He liked getting traffic from TFP, but didn't want his readers heading this way I guess.
    My favorite quote was where he asked Evan "which wingnut he was" from over here on the forum...
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

15. Back To Top    #15

Wingnut huh? I see Waterbear more as a LUGNUT (in a loving way of course). After all, what is it that holds the wheel on the car? A LUGNUT!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Did I miss something here?

17. Back To Top    #17

Old post. Not worth revitalizing.

18. Back To Top    #18
    I do enjoy the various type of nut comparisons though - wing nuts, lug nuts, (can we stretch this to include different types of tree nuts too?)

I like to compare myself to a few different ones : )

Pecan: rounded but not round, a little crunchy but makes great pies.

Brazil nut: a lot of substance hidden beneath that unassuming shell, but if it gets broken and stepped on you are gonna HURT (my sister compared me to this one - I always have bits of BN on the floor in the bird room from my Macaw)

19. Back To Top    #19

Nice.

I saw a slogan on a bag of sunflower seeds (do they qualify as nuts?)...
    "Eat, Spit, and be happy!"

OK, where's the Emoticon of the spitting smiley face?