Is an FC of 10 too high to swim in?

P

PatG25

Hi all

2nd year pool owner (first year on the forum). I have an SWG that I have set very high (65%) since by stabilizer reading had been low. Got the stabilizer to about 60 ppm (per SWG pool recommendation) and dialed the SWG down to 35. We had a bad weather week and in addition to my solar heating system I left my solar pool cover on for cool nights. I checked the FC and it was at 8 ppm. So I dialed back the SWG to 10. Today I got a reading of 10 ppm; I now turned it down. All readings were fine expect pH was high; I already added acid to bring it down.

My question:
Is it safe to swim with a FC reading of 10 and a CC reading of 0? Normal should be 3-5 based on pool school. Or do I wait a few days until the FC comes down? Current temp of the pool is 81 degrees.

I heard that a solar pool cover reduces need for chemicals. I guess I should turn off the SWG or really low if the cover is going to be on for more than a few days?

If your CYA is 60, then anything below shock level of FC 24 would be fine to swim in. I had the same weather...strange weekend/monday, solar cover on and my FC crept up to 11ppm as well. We swam today though and my hair is still on my head :whoot:

I guess it depends on your CYA

My CYA is 75 and I we swam all weekend long with FC ranging from 11 -15ppm and the water was great. I opened my eyes underwater for the first time to truly expreience what a pH of 7.5 really means. It was a great weekend.

My question:
Is it safe to swim with a FC reading of 10 and a CC reading of 0? Normal should be 3-5 based on pool school. Or do I wait a few days until the FC comes down? Current temp of the pool is 81 degrees.
Most of us agree that it is safe to swim between minimum FC and shock level based on your CYA. So as dman said, you are good to go.

I heard that a solar pool cover reduces need for chemicals. I guess I should turn off the SWG or really low if the cover is going to be on for more than a few days? Yep.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't 100% sure about swimming in high chlorine level even though I thought it would be fine.

I have to say; this forum is just incredible. I did a "pool school" with the pool builder last year and those guys didn't even tell me 10% from what I learned in this forum in the last few weeks.

PatG25 said:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't 100% sure about swimming in high chlorine level even though I thought it would be fine.

I have to say; this forum is just incredible. I did a "pool school" with the pool builder last year and those guys didn't even tell me 10% from what I learned in this forum in the last few weeks.

FOR FREE.... :lol: Just wanted to add that... :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.