Help with Solar decision and my roof orientation

Jul 10, 2007
Ohio
I am very interested in heating my yet to be built pool with Solar. I am stuck now, because my roof that I could use for panels faces NORTH. From what I read, this is basically unacceptable. Here is why I am having a dilema with this. My roof is a large soft pitch flat roof that gets BEAT with sun. Does anyone out there successfully use solar facing North? Does it work, just not as efficiently? I have put a picture in of the roof as well, Thanks for your comments.

My pool will be about a 30K gallon vinyl.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 74
Solar panels on a North facing roof will provide some heat, but less than on a south facing roof. How much less depends on the slope of your roof and where you are. The further North you are the more dramatic the difference. Near the equator a North facing roof wouldn't be too bad but in Canada it would mean a major loss of output.

It's going to be less efficient for sure, but you should be able to compensate with more panels... it'll add cost, but it looks like you have a LOT of available roof space. I've read you want a MINIMUM of 60% of your pool surface in solar panel coverage w/ a nice southern exposure. I'd guessing with only northern, you'd probably want in the range of 120% surface coverage.

Chuck, is that picture the back of your house that faces North? If that is the case, you can put your panels on the front of your house. I have around 340 Sq Ft of Surface in my pool, I have 160 Sq Ft of panels facing south, I easily get 10 degree boost when the sun is showing its pretty face. That being said I will be adding 1 or 2 more panels next summer, cuz I am a Tim Taylor Type 1 Personality, MORE IS BETTER :)

I have a neighbor who has his panels on the front of his house, if done properly and all white piping is painted black, you can barely notice it.

Rik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.