Handling the large jugs of chlorine

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
I just returned from a chlorine buying excursion and ended up getting the refillable 2.5 gallon jugs from the local hardware store. His price was $5.50 for the jugs and then $3.95 for refills of 10.5% which I thought was pretty good considering the closest pool store charges 9.55 and 3.55 to refill and is 12 miles farther to drive (as is WalMart).

Does anyone have tips for handling these large, heavy containers of chlorine?
(I had to rephrase that question... heh... sounded dirty the way I originally wrote it!)

The five gallon containers are generally called carboys. I haven't heard of a special name for 2 1/2 gallon containers though.

You can probably get a spigot for them that allows you to set them on their side and just open and close the valve.

The word 'carboy' comes from a Persian word meaning large jug. Historically they were glass or ceramic bottles held in wicker baskets or wooden boxes to protect them. Modern definitions vary but are generally a 2 1/2 gallon to 20 gallon (typically 5 gallon) vessel commonly made of plastic used for fermentation or holding corrosive liquids.

I like the spigot idea. I have seen something like that on the big laundry detergent bottles. I wonder where you would get them? Meanwhile, I will try to sweet talk hubby into transferring it to smaller bottles for me.

Another new word I learned for them: jerrican.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.