Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Handling the large jugs of chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Handling the large jugs of chlorine

I just returned from a chlorine buying excursion and ended up getting the refillable 2.5 gallon jugs from the local hardware store. His price was $5.50 for the jugs and then $3.95 for refills of 10.5% which I thought was pretty good considering the closest pool store charges 9.55 and 3.55 to refill and is 12 miles farther to drive (as is WalMart).

Does anyone have tips for handling these large, heavy containers of chlorine?
    (I had to rephrase that question... heh... sounded dirty the way I originally wrote it!)
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Handling the large jugs of chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue
    Does anyone have tips for handling these large, heavy containers of chlorine?
    (I had to rephrase that question... heh... sounded dirty the way I originally wrote it!)
    You made me laugh with that one !!!

Now, what was your question?
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

3. Back To Top    #3
    Have your hubby (bf, son, nice neighbor guy) pour from the large container into some smaller bleach jugs.

funny, Now I am having trouble writing that j word.

bottle. container. plastic carrying implement.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    The five gallon containers are generally called carboys. I haven't heard of a special name for 2 1/2 gallon containers though.

You can probably get a spigot for them that allows you to set them on their side and just open and close the valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    I have heard that word carboy for quite a while now... what exactly is it? like a large water bottle that typically sits atop a dispenser?

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    The word 'carboy' comes from a Persian word meaning large jug. Historically they were glass or ceramic bottles held in wicker baskets or wooden boxes to protect them. Modern definitions vary but are generally a 2 1/2 gallon to 20 gallon (typically 5 gallon) vessel commonly made of plastic used for fermentation or holding corrosive liquids.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    I like the spigot idea. I have seen something like that on the big laundry detergent bottles. I wonder where you would get them? Meanwhile, I will try to sweet talk hubby into transferring it to smaller bottles for me.

Another new word I learned for them: jerrican.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Methinks the Lions and the Bears know a little bit of everything (the JasonLion and waterbear, that is! )

Thanks for the lesson in etymology, JL!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Hi Sue,

I use the 5 gal carboy and transfer the bleach into a 1 gal bottle with a syphon bought at an auto parts store.

Anna
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.