More cloudy water

Jun 15, 2010
Hi All,
Thank you for the Website. It's a tremendous resource.
I, too, am having a problem with cloudy water. It's the first time in 15 years, I've not been able to clear it.
I'm using the TF100 test kit, here's a serial of my readings since Friday afternoon.
The water is blue, no algae, but it is cloudy. I can see the top of the second step, but can't see my hand at elbow depth. I've tried using the shock levels on the Web site with a CYA of 90 and I can get to shock levels, however it drops quickly, the water remains cloudy and the CC's remain, along with the "chlorine" smell. Water temp is 90.
I'm using the TF100 test kit, here's a serial of my readings since Friday afternoon.

Here is the serial:
Friday 1 p.m.
FC -- 3
CC -- 2
TC -- 5
TA -- 120
CH -- 320
CYA -- 90
pH -- 7.2
Shocked using 379 ounces of 10.5 percent pool store chlorine as dictated by the calculator and tested again at 4 p.m.
FC -- 30
CC -- 1.5
Saturday 11 a.m.
FC -- 28
CC -- 1.5
CYA -- 90
pH -- 6.8
Shocked again trying to get/keep FC to 30 as recommended 256 ounces of 10.5 percent pool store chlorine and tested again at 4 p.m.
FC -- 30.5
CC -- 1.5
CYA -- 90
Sunday noon
FC -- 35.5
CC -- 1
Shocked again this time using two pounds of AquaChem Shock Extra Blue (out of liquid chlorine) it's Dichlor 63.05 percent
Monday noon
FC -- 27
CC -- 1.5
What do I do next? I've replaced the cartridge filter as well.
Thank you.

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing you need to do is read pool school and learn how to shock. With a CYA of 90 it's going to be very hard to maintain the recommended shock level often enough to get rid of whatever is consuming your FC. Deoending on where you're located you will either have to drain and replace some of the water or if available where you live have it ran through an R.O. process.

If you do want to try shocking at yoru current CYA level start with LOTS of bleach or liquid chlorine and test and add as often as every hour until you lose less than 1ppm overnight, your CC's are .5 or less.

Keith L said:
Hi All,

Shocked again this time using two pounds of AquaChem Shock Extra Blue (out of liquid chlorine) it's Dichlor 63.05 percent

Adding to Bama's suggestion...no more dichlor. And while your at it, if you have any trichlor pucks in a chlorinator or floater, please remove them as well. If you have 90 CYA, dichlor or trichlor are the last things you need because both contain CYA and will rapidly increase your level, compounding the problem.

The other thing that your dichlor shock is doing is dropping your pH to concerning levels. Last test I see on your pH is Saturday, where it read 6.8. It may actually be lower.

I aerate as much as possible to raise your pH, but also add Borax to take you up to 7ish... if not 7.2.

Every time you test your chlorine, you should test your pH, and try to maintain 7.2 during the shock. Your chlorine will be more effective at this range, and it should also take down your TA to where you will have less upwards drift.

After your shock, you can let your pH drift upwards to where it likes to hover... but not over 7.8ish.

Thank you all for the tips. The stabilizer problem was created by my reliance on the older "pool store" method. They said the stabilizer was low and to add 1.5 pounds, which I did three weeks ago. I read the how to shock section of the Web site to get to the desired FC levels and will continue to use lots of bleach to overcome the CYA levels. I'm also using Borax to bump up the pH.
I will keep posted and ask more questions as needed. Thank you again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.