Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Has anyone ever used a product called "Critter Skimmer" which is a skimmer lid replacement that has a helical ramp, allowing frogs and small critters to get safely out of a skimmer basket? Our pool is only a month old, and we have been finding a couple frogs a week in our baskets. Given that they are 1) living things and 2) do yeoman's work eating bugs that I don't like, I'd like to see if we can save them.

A quick search of TFP revealed no reviews, so I thought I'd ask! Here's the URL:

http://www.critterskimmer.com/Critter_Skimmer_Story.html

I like the concept of it and would probably try it but we don't have frogs getting in the pool (I guess the pond next door is enticement enough). I do remember a review of it (or something similar) but can't remember where now, possibly Gardenweb??

Thanks, @Bama. We went ahead and got two via Amazon. They've been in for two days and so far...no dead frogs. We'll know their effectiveness for sure after a week that includes a good downpour, as that's when they start a-jumping.

They seem like they are well made (better than i expected) though they fit slightly loosely in my Hayward skimmers. Not a major flaw, I'd just like them to fit a little tighter.

Let us know how they work out. I usually do a skimmer check first thing in the morning to rescue any that have foud their way into the pool.

BobinBaltimore said:
Thanks, @Bama. We went ahead and got two via Amazon. They've been in for two days and so far...no dead frogs. We'll know their effectiveness for sure after a week that includes a good downpour, as that's when they start a-jumping.

They seem like they are well made (better than i expected) though they fit slightly loosely in my Hayward skimmers. Not a major flaw, I'd just like them to fit a little tighter.
Great idea! thanks for posting. I'll order those for sure.

Because of my specific skimmers shapes (not standard), I had to be creative and find a different solution to save the frogs.
I've used a Kevlar net (used to repair wall's crack) with 1/2" squares size and put it in front of the skimmers.
In my situation works perfectly as I do not have trees next to the swimming pool and very few leaves falls in.
Since then no more dead frogs in the skimmers, less work for me in order to shock and my daughter's really happy for saving them :-D

Final post: after two weeks and two good rain storms: not a single dead critter in my skimmers, frog or otherwise. I'd call this product a success, at least in my circumstance.

Reactions: Maverick23
Yes, While we occasionally have a live frog or two in the skimmers, it is rare. The ones that can't use the ramp to get out (too big) seem to use it to rest. I don't think we've had a dead frog in two years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.