Intellichlor producing too much chlorine?

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Hello! We got a new Intellichlor cell at the start of the season (IC40), and whereas the last cell seemed perfect (same model, it's just that the PB messed up and the threads got glued and then stripped), this cell seems a little 'off.'
For one thing, the lights on it show a lower reading than when I test with the salt strips...so it may say our salt is 'Low' when I'm testing that it's actually fine with the strips.
Secondly, when running my pump (and therefore my cell) only 9 hours/day, my chlorine is creeping up to 4ppm. This is with the cell on 20%.
Is there a way to 'back the cell down' further, or should I just manually turn the cell off for a few hours each cycle?
thanks! Todd

Question- How long has the cell been installed. Reason- My cell read low salt for the first week or so and then balanced. Also your pool size would indicate that your cell doesn't have to work very hard to produce enough chlorine to work well. I have a 19,000 gallon pool and run it at 40% and have a stable FC of 4.5.

Do you have an automation system that allows you to adjust your output more incrementally? My system allows me to adjust by a single percentage, BUT it doesn't seem to work right. I drop my percent to 37% and my FC would drop down into the danger range (FC high 2's)

If you have a Hayward/Goldline automation system you can set the SWG setting to specific percentages, but from the buttons on the unit you can only set it to 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%.

Having FC at 4 isn't a problem if that is as far as you can turn it down. As bather load and water temperature increase the FC level will come down a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.