Can't keep any cl

Mar 30, 2008
Thanks to all on this board for all the help and ideas. I just wanted to post my little problem ans see if you all agree with my course of action.

Last year I really got my pool dialed in, I was running the pump for 6 hours, 3 in the morning and 3 at night, with my swcg at 40%. I always had fc of 8 or better and all I ever added to my pool was hcl as nessesary to control ph and 1lbs of stablizer.
This was with about 70-80% sunlight.

Now this year I had some trees cut down next door and this allows 100% sun light.
I have increased my swcg to 80% and now run 4 hours in the am and 4 hours in the pm, also put a total of 2 lbs of stabiliser, I can barely hold 1 fc and sometimes 0 :(

2lbs of CYA would only raise your CYA by 10ppm. For a SWCG, you probably need to be running at 70-80ppm, which would take as much as 12 more pounds depending on where your CYA was at the start of the season.

Yes thank you, I proceeded with a shock, and also added another 4 lbs of cya, I had mistaken, I had previously added 8 lbs not 2lbs. I suspect not having quite enough cya added with my swcg not being able to keep up with my chlorine demand. Now that I have shocked it, everything should stay in shape, Thanks Jesse

Believe it or not.........I had the same issue when I added my SWG a few months ago, it just wouldn't make enough chlorine. I was told phosphates were the problem, used some phosphate remover, got phosphates to zero and chlorine levels have been no problem to maintain since then!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.