Another Converter.

Jun 15, 2010
Well after 2 plus years I'm one of them, yes a converter from Baqua. First year was wonderful then well it's been a year since I've seen the bottom of my pool. Every three - 5 days I'm at the pool store spending $35.00-75.00 and nothing but cloudy water. The kids want to through me in with a brick around my neck with this heat. My test kit should be here tomorrow. Here's what I have so far as readings.

Baqua Sanitizer 28 Before adding 2.5 Gallons Saturday Morning.
Baqua Oxidizer 2
PH 7.6
Alk. 61
Calcium 19
Copper 2

Well I started the conversion Sunday afternoon with four gallons of bleach then four more before bed. Monday still no reading for Chlorine, added four more in the morning still no reading 4 hours later, four more before bed. Today first thing added four more gallons and here we are 4 hours later and I now have a reading of probably a little more then 5 ppm on my inexpensive tester. I also have hockey puck sized piece of chlorine in the return line.
So am I on track?
Also the other readings such as the Calcium Hardness is that something to worry about since I have a vinyl liner?

Should have added the color scheme. LOL
Started out cloudy, then light brown for a while not long though, then green and now a light lime green. Although barely I can see the bottom.
I have one of them automatic vacuum's should I use it at this point? Doesn't seem to be any garbage on the bottom from what I can see.

Welcome to the forum. You are not using enough chlorine. You are not getting a readin in between doses because it is being used up. To make this process go properly, you need to test and add more frequently.

Since you cannot properly test for FC, when will your kit arrive?

Meanwhile, get more chlorine. :lol:

1. Skip the hockey pucks....they are doing you very little good

2. CH is irrelevant for now...disregard it.

3 YOur auto vac will quickly become clogged. Use a manual vac and vacuum and brush frequently.

Welcome to TFP!

In addition to what duraleigh said:

The next time your FC level is near zero, lower the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4.

How confident of the copper level are your? If copper is really at 2.0, you will need to start using sequestrant right away to avoid copper stains.

Hi..good luck with your conversion. I converted at the end of last swimming season. It took me 3 days of bleaching every few hours. yes it is very time consuming but worth it. I went from spending around $200 a month on Baqugoo to around $40 and have a beautiful sparkling pool. If you can post pictures. Deb

Well cleaned out Wally-World of there large bottles of bleach. Oh well. LOL
Put in 3 of the large bottles Around one pm. may have over done it some the calculator said 2 gallons and a quart.
Checked it with the distilled water one third with my inexpensive tester. It was over the color limit but the way it's going through chlorine it won't take long to come down..
Didn't take into consideration these were the larger bottles not the three quart gallons. LOL
Well I'll check about dinner time and see if it went down it's very hot and humid here now.

I hope it's back to normal soon or below 15ppm. it's been raining like heck now so I haven't checked it in the last few hours.
Will this hurt anything for a 6-8 hour time frame ?
I only ordered my TF-100 XL kit this morning being sent fed-ex. I should have it tomorrow. The women was about as nice a women you could ever speak to.

Be patient and keep blasting the bleach. I just finished my conversion. Even starting with a zero Baqucil reading it still took me three nights to retain a 15 ppm FC level. I used about 8 gallons of 12.5% bleach (bought it in bulk from my hardware guy - cheaper than Wal-Mart 5.25% equivalent). Believe me, it is worth every bit of the effort. Hang in there! (By the way, everybody you will meet on this forum is super nice).

Checked the FC this morning around 6 and without the right tester that should be here today my reading is around 15. I really over did it yesterday with the bleach. Well I'll check it when I return at noon.
Good day and Luck to all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok this morning we had a FC reading 8 from 15 last night. I will start checking about every hour or so, this isn't to often is it?
You really do need a good test kit to get the right numbers, makes things much easier it seems.
I sort of started this Sunday-Monday how long before I see clear water it's been over a year now and I'm getting kind of anxious.

Now that you are starting to hold an FC level overnight you have a choice to make. Sunlight is starting to consume FC more quickly than the baquacil does. Because of that you can continue to add chlorine every hour, which will get the conversion finished as quickly as possible, or you can switch to only adding chlorine in the evening, which will use much less chlorine, but will take a little longer.

JasonLion said:
Now that you are starting to hold an FC level overnight you have a choice to make. Sunlight is starting to consume FC more quickly than the baquacil does. Because of that you can continue to add chlorine every hour, which will get the conversion finished as quickly as possible, or you can switch to only adding chlorine in the evening, which will use much less chlorine, but will take a little longer.

My daughter is about to string me up with this hot weather and no pool. LOL
We'll go with quicker and I'll keep checking is every hour or so.
Thanks
I can't wait to see clear blue water.

Checked FC@9:04am 19ppm
12:00pm 7ppm
1:30pm 10ppm
3:30pm 9ppm
5:00pm 9ppm

When do I start checking other chemical levels?
I think I will hold 15ppm over night. When I do see the bottom there's still some cloudy stuff there that I did vacuum up is that what's left of the baquajunk?

Just for the count I went through so far
10-182oz. jugs
17-96oz. jugs so far.
and more to come I'm sure.
I must emphasize a good tester is a must !!!

If you are impatient, you can test TA and CH now, but you don't actually need to know those numbers for a couple of days.

When the FC level holds within 1.0 overnight, you can change the filter media and start adding CYA. Then when CC is 0.5 on two consecutive days you can stop maintaining FC at 15 and start balancing your remaining levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.